Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2434363738

Thread: This Month's Haul - April 2013

1. Quote Originally Posted by Korly View Post
    You know how people are always saying "Why would you buy a strategy guide when you can just look up FAQs on the internet?"? Well, why would you buy an expensive cookbook when there are about 10,000 sites with recipies? Serious question.
    I'm not really looking for recipes - I'm looking for ideas and inspiration. Recipes stopped being useful to me years ago. I actually just wrote an article for a local magazine about how people should never follow recipes. They're just starting points for making something that's yours.

It's an out of print book by a 3 Star chef named Michel Bras called Essential Cuisine.
    Boo, Hiss.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I actually just wrote an article for a local magazine about how people should never follow recipes.
    Is there a digital version you can link?

3. It's not out yet.

Should do the photo shoot next week and then the week after publish? I never pay attention.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I'm not really looking for recipes - I'm looking for ideas and inspiration. Recipes stopped being useful to me years ago. I actually just wrote an article for a local magazine about how people should never follow recipes. They're just starting points for making something that's yours.
    I cook casually, but I agree with this.

Following recipes prevents you from actually learning how to cook: learning how to use a stove, combining ingredients and flavors, improvising, and generally being creative.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

5. The best book to have in your kitchen is The Flavor Bible, by Dornenber. It's just lists of ingredients that go together.

After that, Harold McGee On Cooking will tell you all the whys of reactions.
    Boo, Hiss.

6. Magna Carta 2 (360) $26.99 from GS and another year of GI.

7. Spent $10 to get the Story Bundle and have some more gaming-related books on my Kindle
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. How are those Magma Cartra games?

9. Just okay, not that great. MC2 is more like an action RPG and had some interesting stuff going on even if nothing was outstanding. I don't have anything more specific because I haven't played it in a long time.