Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows

I seem to remember XP 64 bit being kind of useless since it wasn't compatible with anything? That could have changed since I stopped paying attention to PC tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

3. Yeah, there's a lot of 64-bit stuff now and it does make a difference. It's huge for MAME.

4. don't put xp on your computer (if your computer is half-way modern xp won't even work on it anyway, especially if you have a ssd)

just run windows 7 [version of choice] for the 180 day trial you can get out of resetting the "time it can run without a key" timer, and if you can't save up $100 in 180 days (that's like $0.80/day) then you suck

e: and yes, as of this post the version you'd probably want is $100

e2: and here's a direct link to 64 bit home premium sp1 that you can put on a dvdr/usb drive and go to town with in trial mode http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
    Last edited by cka; 09 Apr 2013 at 05:51 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts on windows xp 32 bit vs 64 bit?
    64 bit XP was basically an experiment, and most companies never made drivers for their devices for it. At this point a lot of companies have made the switch to 64 bit, specially programs that would benefit from it. There's really no point in going with a 32 bit OS in this day and age. Like CKA said trying to run XP now is stupid, save up the money and gets 64 bit Windows 7, or find it another way.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

What is 7's deal about losing hard drive space?

I did what cka said (put win7 on my machine) and this morning I woke up to 25 gigs missig on C (almost half the windows partition).

I lowered the virtual memory, dropped system restore to nothing, and cleared the temp and only got 1-2 gigs back. 'Computer' says I only have 4-5 gigs of free space. But if you go inside C, its showing only 30 gigs of stuff in there (including hidden files).

I haven't put an antivirus on there, so I don't think anything has snuck a massive hidden back up file on there.

7. There's a thing that takes up the amount equal to your ram so that it can go into deep sleep mode or something. And also another thing that takes up the same amount of space that's like virtual memory but maybe not called exactly that?

This wasn't very specific but I'm sure you can google it. Or actually just get one of those programs that tells you about every hidden file on the drive so you can google them

I've been googling it. No one has an answer for it, so far.

delete system32

Well firstblood was right. I don't know what those baffoons that google showed me were going on about.

Downloaded windirstat and sure enough, Pagefile.sys and Hiberfil.sys were massive. About 10 gigs each.

What I don't get is that the same things I googled showed people using windirstat. Did they just not know how to use it?