Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capcom Cancelled a AAA Mega Man Reboot Headed by Inafune and Metroid Prime Leads

1. Capcom Cancelled a AAA Mega Man Reboot Headed by Inafune and Metroid Prime Leads

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179...averick-hunter

Codenamed Maverick Hunter, the first-person shooter had the blessing of Mega Man's creator and a talented team tasked with attracting a new generation of fans. But the departure of Keiji Inafune likely killed the most interesting take on the 25-year-old character to date.

Mega Man's foray into the first-person shooter genre looked, at least on paper, like a formula for success. One of a handful of collaborations with Western developers kicked off by Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, the Mega Man first-person shooter was in development at Austin-based Armature Studio, the promising developer founded by Metroid Prime's creators. The new Mega Man would have been redesigned by the concept artist responsible for adapting Iron Man's armor for Marvel's successful film franchise. Thematically, the game would have built upon the mythology of Mega Man X, a series that was a darker, more mature spin-off of the cuter, classic Mega Man franchise.
    I kind of agree the timing wasn't right for a project like that. That's something you launch when you also have something to make the traditional fanbase happy. Otherwise you end up with a Shadowrun/Syndicate situation where fans don't want to give your game a chance because they want a "real" one first.

2. Looks fucking horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Looks like it could have been ok but overall another FPS... ... meh.

4. Normal size Mega Man is terrible. The story sounded ok though.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

5. I really wonder how much strong-arming Nintendo had to do to ensure Metroid Prime would be good.

Because this looked like shit.

6. I would have loved this. I think I've joked before about remaking Mega Man as a Gears of War clone, but I also secretly hoped the idea would one day happen.

But those enemies look way too bland, I would've hoped for a more DeviantArt approach to classic enemies instead of just a MechWarrior template.

7. By "DeviantArt" approach you of course mean "Socially Questionable Art"?

8. I was more referring to the overused yet occasionally still entertaining "redraw everything gritty regardless of whether or not it works." For whatever reason that's usually the only stuff from DA I ever see posted elsewhere.

Though I can see how you would suppose that first.

9. Oh you meant "not actually browsing DeviantArt".

Because hoooo boy.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    But those enemies look way too bland, I would've hoped for a more DeviantArt approach to classic enemies instead of just a MechWarrior template.
    I think those are meant to be based on the Mechs from the beginning of Mega Man X actually.