View Poll Results: Is Game Music Less Noteworthy Today Than It Was Yester Year?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 63.64%
  • No

8 36.36%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: Gaming Music: What Happened?

Johnny Cash and Oscar duet sounds like the best thing ever.

2. That Plok track is dope. I guess I need to play that game.

Also, the BGM on those early Mortal Kombat games has some crazy composition going on. The Pit from MK1 makes almost no sense musically but is still awesome.
    Last edited by jyoung; 12 Apr 2013 at 05:34 PM.

I think the Halo theme is a great example of how modern game music can still be iconic and memorable and yet orchestral and movie-like. This is putting aside the fantastic soundtracks that still come out with smaller-scale or different games.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

This is pretty terribly executed but you can see how it could have still been an awesome song in 8 bits. It just depends on who's scoring the damn thing these days. You look at guys like Michael Giacchino, who now do movie scores, have been scoring games WITHOUT an 8-bit pop sensibility this whole time, and now he's doing movies...but that stuff never has a video game feel. The right people can still pull off awesome music when they try to.

Even scores that aren't like that can still be memorable. I loved the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 12 Apr 2013 at 06:23 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Neir had a pretty awesome sound track. I've never seen a game get so much mileage out of one or two songs. It also road the line between foreground and background music. They would make slight alterations to each song depending on what position they wanted their tracks to play.

All the same basic song

EDIT: I like that they knew the soundtrack was something special and put out a remix CD.

This might be one of the best things caused by a game.

Last edited by Fe 26; 12 Apr 2013 at 06:57 PM.

7. Nier's soundtrack is so good. Probably the best Square's published since Chrono Cross.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    Also, the BGM on those early Mortal Kombat games has some crazy composition going on. The Pit from MK1 makes almost no sense musically but is still awesome.
    Everyone thinks I'm crazy for saying I want the SNES version of MK1 simply because it sounds so good.