Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why has searching been disabled?

1. In what way? Maybe it can be fixed.

2. There are just too many forums in my opinion.

Gaming/Sound Off/Fight Club is all we need, or Gaming/Sound-Off/Fight Club/Skull and Bones

I think we took a vote on this a while back and people wanted a million subforums for some reason though.

3. The funny thing about running a forum is that whatever you do to it, about half the users will think your latest decision is a mess, and they will be convinced beyond any doubt in their minds that because they like something a certain way, it is the correct way and clear-as-day common sense.

Then if you undo the change, about half the users will be convinced beyond any doubt in their minds that you made a terrible mistake and because they like something a certain way, it is the correct way and clear-as-day common sense.

So we have alternatives. As you mentioned, a lot of folks want more forums. My thought on it is that having only two forums for a new reader to see makes the index page too bland, and having a handful of forums puts more links to threads on the index page, so you are more likely to have a click-through because something caught the readers eye.

Those that hate that set-up can use "What's New" for one-stop browsing. Alternatives, not a mess. The page that shows new posts isn't even one of the top fifty pages in the site.

5. But I want Dave to stay.

He's not going anywhere.

7. As long as the New Posts button is there for me to click on, I'll be around.

Does it have to work?

9. No

10. If you were to merge the Communities in with Sound Off, a lot of threads that are SSJN free (and happy to be so) would most likely get shit upon by me.