Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Movies: Phase 3 and Beyond

1. Tell me, how many superhero movies will you be dropping quotes from in twenty years?
    Then think of how many 80s and 90s action films we drop quotes from.
    There's one litmus test to how good these movies are.
    I don't have a problem with them as a whole, I have a problem with the amount that is being shit out across the board. We have 3 decent Blade movies. Don't need any more. Or another Ghost Rider. Or another Daredevil. Or another Spiderman. Marvel properties are turning into the Activision of film.

Thor and Captain America were merely mediocre at best. Do any of you think Avengers would have been a worse movie if those films didn't precede it?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    So like, how does this happen? Does Marvel/DC have a yuppie gang that goes around beating other movie studio execs with nunchuks and threaten to shove Iron Man/Green Lantern figures up their asses?
    When you get actors and directors locked into projects it will shut down other projects. This is not some hidden truth about Hollywood, it happens all the time and is in the press all the time.
    Of all the Marvel produced movies (Iron Man 1-3, Captain America, Thor, Avengers) I can't think of any of them being bad movies. Sure there may be certain issues here and there either due to limited budget, script/story issues, or limited technology but nothing to the degree in which I won't watch the movie at all and can call them objectively bad.
    Thor, Captain America, and Hulk all have weak/terrible scripts with the best acting being when they ham it up but everyone preferring to hang around the range of "vaguely campy" to "shitty" for most of the time. They're SyFy level movies with a bigger budget. None of them have anything to say or bring to the table beyond setting up the Avengers movie, they're superfluous even from a comic movie standpoint.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    We have 3 decent Blade movies.
    The first one was decent. I really like Blade 2 but it's honestly godawful trash, and let's not pretend the third one is worth discussing.

4. Blade 3 is total shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Korly View Post
    I like Push. They should make a sequel to that.
    I liked it too.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Tell me, how many superhero movies will you be dropping quotes from in twenty years?
    Then think of how many 80s and 90s action films we drop quotes from.
    There's one litmus test to how good these movies are.
    I don't have a problem with them as a whole, I have a problem with the amount that is being shit out across the board. We have 3 decent Blade movies. Don't need any more. Or another Ghost Rider. Or another Daredevil. Or another Spiderman. Marvel properties are turning into the Activision of film.

Thor and Captain America were merely mediocre at best. Do any of you think Avengers would have been a worse movie if those films didn't precede it?
    Well we can all quote movies like Street Fighter & Judge Dredd because they're goofy guilty pleasure sort of movies but objectively I think we can all agree that they're not particularly the best representations of the source material.

As for your other points, Marvel licensed out franchises like Fantastic Four, Blade, Spider-Man, Punisher, Ghost Rider, X-Men, Daredevil, etc. and weren't really controlled by them 100% creatively which would explain why those studios either milked them to death or just made plainly bad movies with them. They've gotten back the rights to Ghost Rider, Punisher, and Daredevil since then but they're not rushing out to make more of those because they have other properties in the pipeline and it's probably best to wait a while before rebooting those.

I didn't hate all of these as I thought some were better than others but those were made during the more nascent superhero movie times. Avengers working well without the other superhero movies is basically just a testament of how well that movie was made as a stand-alone superhero movie but that doesn't necessarily mean that preceding movies were crap (although if you feel that they weren't particularly good then fair enough) but there's an obvious rewarding element of seeing these franchises all come together.
    Last edited by Will; 09 May 2013 at 09:41 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    When you get actors and directors locked into projects it will shut down other projects. This is not some hidden truth about Hollywood, it happens all the time and is in the press all the time.
    Have there been any particular examples of a Marvel movie preventing an actor or director from doing another movie that didn't eventually come out? Downey's been doing projects nearly back to back and it hasn't prevented movies like Sherlock Holmes to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Thor, Captain America, and Hulk all have weak/terrible scripts with the best acting being when they ham it up but everyone preferring to hang around the range of "vaguely campy" to "shitty" for most of the time. They're SyFy level movies with a bigger budget. None of them have anything to say or bring to the table beyond setting up the Avengers movie, they're superfluous even from a comic movie standpoint.
    There's an underlying construction of a bigger Marvel movie universe sure and some movies do this more visibly than others such as Iron Man 2 and the end of Captain America but at the same time I have no problem enjoying them as stand alone movies either. There are growing pains any time you set up something as ambitious as a Marvel movie universe but Phase 2 seems to be upping the budget and scope of the solo movies which could give way to even better and more fully realized movies.

And c'mon, you're making it look like these movies had like Schumacher level camp and silly shit. The films had their own brand of self deprecating humor and stuff like that but it wasn't like neon bright tights and BIFF! POW! Bat Shark repellent/credit card crap.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Yes. They would have had to waste time establishing Thor, Cap, and everyone else instead of hitting the ground running like they did.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Yes. They would have had to waste time establishing Thor, Cap, and everyone else instead of hitting the ground running like they did.
    There's that too.

9. Also Marvel produces these movies. It's not like the other studios are running resources through them except tentpole money.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Chronicle was an amazing film, that had a super small budget, made a boat load of cash, and was not connected in any way to a comic book.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.