Page 66 of 121 FirstFirst ... 526264656667687080 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Movies: Phase 3 and Beyond

1. My son took me to see Thor Ragnarok. It was still running at one of the twelve or so theaters in our area.
    I didn't hate the movie, but it wasn't a Thor movie. Unless Thor was possessed by Spider-Man and got sent to Star War.
    Wtf with all the wise cracking? I can understand wanting to take the series in a new direction since the previous two movies usually fall towards the bottom of the "best marvel movies" list. But this wasn't Thor.
    I thought characterization across the board was awful. Loki is now a court jester, not the scheming evil dude he should be. Banner is a cowering puss. Goldblum was...Goldblum. Not Michele Rodriguez was fine I guess? Karl Urban was wasted.
    I didn't mind Thor's (ugh) sister, but what the hela does she need an army for? She murdered Asgard's best in two minutes without breaking a sweat. It was stupid.
    I did like that the pop music soundtrack was limited to a song or two.
    I did have "Fun."
    But if Marvel's remedy to fix all its under-received movies is to turn them into GotG rip offs, um...no thanks. We already have GotG. And that too is a bit too wise cracky. When worlds are ending and countless people are dying (Thor's 3 best friends get killed off and he doesn't care enough to notice?), witty banter doesn't seem appropriate.

2. GotG2 and Thor 3 are both *terrified* of dead air to the point that they cram in poor jokes wherever they can, which steps on a lot of their better moments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Look, nobody has given 2 shits about the first two Thor movies. Nobody. So they tried to do what worked with Guardians. And it worked. Is it maybe too jokey? Perhaps. Should it taken the deaths of some of the characters more seriously? Ya probably. But I thought it was a great movie. A good time in the theater that didn't insult my intelligence.

Besides, he knows he will see his friends again in Valhalla.

4. Hey, I didn’t hate it. Just sayin’ that it’s not Thor.
    It’s like making a Cyclops movie, except instead of trying to take what makes Cyclops work (on the few occassions he’s not been a boring asshole) just transposing Wolverine’s personality on him because hey people like Wolverine.
    It was a spectacular popcorn movie that I’ll never watch again because there’s no reason to.

5. Well, the thing is, they did make a Thor movie. Two of em. And both of em were met with faint praise at best and called "The worst marvel movie" at worst. That's a license to make changes. Thor has always been the hardest Marvel property to translate to the movies, there was far too much weed and other chemicals that were consumed when they did those comics. It's the same problem DC has with the Green Lantern corps. Guardians proved that you could do goofy action comic heroes and people would like it. So they did that again.

6. No, they made two shitty movies that starred a character named Thor. Thor is not a wose cracking wall crawler. If they wanted to rip off GotG, they’d have been better off making Thor like Drax and let the supporting cast make the jokes.
    Thor as a character was fine in all the non Thor titles movies, so it’s not him as a character that needed changing.
    That’s like saying Daredevil needs to be more like Punisher because the Affleck movie was so bad. It’s not the character’s fault tht the person(s) writing the scripts or directing did a bad job.

7. I thought it was too jokey too. It works for GotG because that series conceptually is completely crazy (IMO the best Marvel series going, maybe the best blockbuster series set in space, period).

I enjoyed the finale of Ragnarok though. I wish they had spent more time with The Hulk. With how much time Banner spent forcefully confined. That idea seems pretty terrifying.

Still, it was the best Thor. So I enjoyed it.

8. I didn't see the latest Thor, but I was pleasantly surprised by the first movie. I am surprised that it would be considered one of the worst Marvel movies. The 2nd one was meh.

If they did make Loki as a court jester, than it sucks because he is one of the few villains that is worth a damn in this universe.

9. The first Thor is in the weird position of being one of the best-written/directed/acted Marvel movies (maybe even THE best), while simultaneously looking like a made-for-SyFy movie, with the plastic-armored Asgardians walking around clearly greenscreened into Asgard-as-PSone-cutscene-backdrop. I put it down to Perlmutter and his infamous penny-pinching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

10. I would say that knocks it out of being one of the best directed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!