Page 117 of 121 FirstFirst ... 103113115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1206

Thread: Marvel Movies: Phase 3 and Beyond

1. The problem is that the comics simply don't matter here at all. They're just the testing ground for the studios to pick and choose whatever catches their fancy. If a character was super-popular, great. If nobody cares, also great. With the way comics sell the question isn't one of whether 5,000 or 25,000 readers picked up the floppies, or how well it translated to graphic novel format, but rather "Can Director turn Idea into Cool Movie?" Everything else, including the various characters' continuity, is an afterthought. The sales of comics and graphic novels would just be a rounding error in a popular movie's viewership.

If they were the same as the comic books people would find a way to complain about that.

3. One of my favorite announcements was that fact that Taskmaster is the main bad guy in the Black Widow movie. I've always had a soft spot for the guy and I just got done reading through Avengers: The Initiative and he was totally the MVP of the entire series.

Also, the people complaining that these movies are "b" team or filler are just plain goofy. Mainstream audiences didn't know who the fuck Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man or Doctor Strange were. Even Black Panther was obscure to non-comic fans. If the movies are well-made and have the usual Disney juggernaut marketing push behind them, they'll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    Dole, you just posted the list but left out all the exciting details - Scarlet Witch guest-starring in Doctor Strange 2
    Honestly, my second-favorite announcement. She's a perfect fit for a Doctor Strange movie. Fuck, put Scarlet Witch in every movie, the more Elizabeth Olsen running around in a tight corset, the better.

Plus, I'm intrigued over the announcement that DS2 will be Marvel's first real attempt at a "horror" movie. We'll see how that works out, but it would be cool if they went all-out with it...well, at least as far as they could with a PG-13 rating, that is.

Natalie Portman returning as Jane Foster and becoming lady Thor in Love and Thunder
    The best part of Thor Ragnarok was no Jane Foster, as she was the weakest part of the previous two movies by far. Now stick-figure Natalie Portman is playing Lady Thor? Um, no. But I have faith in Taika Waititi not to completely fuck it up.

MAHERSHALA ALI AS BLADE!!
    Not really familiar with the new guy playing Blade, but I know he won an Oscar and everyone is going gaa-gaa over the casting, so I assume he's a good pick? Hopefully he can being the physicality that Snipes brought to the role naturally and that it doesn't end up like the guy they cast as Iron Fist who didn't know how to fight at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    B for Blade.
    Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 21 Jul 2019 at 10:59 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. You say that, yet Inhumans was still unwatchable --that has actually been to market and failed big time. From what I can tell there's not a lot of daylight between Inhumans and the Eternals, except the Inhumans were actually a thing. Calling it now, big flop.

Weird property for them to bet heavy on.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 21 Jul 2019 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. The Eternals movie will likely be heavily based on the recent-ish Neil Gaiman limited series. I dunno, Neil Gaiman has some clout and the thing seemed to be generally liked.

I agree that it doesn't really seem to push the same buttons as all the men-in-tights movies, but judging the success probability of a lavishly-budgeted Marvel film on a shoestring-budget Marvel TV show seems rather apples to oranges.

6. Yeahhh, we'll see. I think when we divorce these things from source material things start to get out on a limb a bit.

Guardians had that nice comics refresh in Annihilation that worked as a Proof Of Concept for 'Movie Guardians', the characters 'in their modern form' were established and road-tested in the funnybooks. Hell, the entire basis for MCU Avengers is exactly "The Ultimates" (2002). Well liked and they already worked on a page.

I don't know that there's a lot to hang the Eternals on, let's see what they do with it. I have never heard that Gaiman book even discussed, and the Jack Kirby one seems like Cool Art WTF Story.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 22 Jul 2019 at 01:04 AM.

7. Shazam isn't in the top 30. Batman and Superman are DC's only two there.

Death of Captain America, in 2007, was the highest selling comic of that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I have faith in Taika Waititi not to completely fuck it up.
    This is the key for me. If it weren't Waititi doing the directing I'd be worried, but this dude is awesome and has made the (to me) best Marvel movie so far so I think he'll do something rad with it. I'm just hoping that Portman does her share, as she's a good actress but she pretty much phoned in her performance in Thor movies, although to be fair the second one in particular was awful. She's said she's going to be hardcore working out to get buff for the role, so hopefully it turns out well.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Not really familiar with the new guy playing Blade, but I know he won an Oscar and everyone is going gaa-gaa over the casting, so I assume he's a good pick?
    He's killed a bunch of roles I've seen him in. House of Cards, Luke Cage, Hidden Figures, Moonlight, Spiderverse. Plus he's sexy as hell. I'm not even gonna throw a "no homo" on there. Him killing vampires is going to be awesome. I haven't seen him in super physical roles so he's gonna have to do some work, but I don't doubt he'll pull it off.

10. I kinda hope he does a Snipes imitation, fake teeth and all.