Page 1 of 54 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion and Science in the Classroom

Religion and Science in the Classroom

You realize that atheism is every bit as strong (and arguably dangerous) a religion as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Budhism, etc., yes? I frankly don't want any of those taught in school under anything but a theology or comparative religion heading. If you consider yourself a scientist or a critical thinker, I don't know how you could be anything other than agnostic or undecided.

2. I'm fully on record that a lot of atheists don't know science either and hide behind it and are no better than people that think God made the earth 4,000 years ago. I'm not athiest (I have no problem with people that are). But I think evolution is real and there's no place in school for ID.

If you "think" evolution is real, then you believe in faith based learning. It's either been proven with regard to humans, which it hasn't fully, due to the "missing link," or it's still a hypothesis. If you're a proponent of teaching certain hypotheses as facts at the expense of even mentioning alternatives, you don't support the teaching of critical thinking.

If I wasn't hungry and headed out the door, I'd give you a likely fictitious scenario where creationism and evolution can co-exist and not contradict each other.

4. You can say that about everything ever, so unless you're just going to have the same two logic classes for 15 years, might as well pack it up

No you can't. Most of what we teach as science has been proven and peer reviewed. We just aren't there yet on the whole evolutionary chain of humans.

6. People much smarter than you or I would disagree.

Fuck you guys. I'm going to go take a bong hit for Jesus.

OK. Now one for the Commandant.

One for the Corps.

Now let me see your war face.