Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic: Lost World (3DS, Wii U)

1. Nah, I think the "shitty Sonic games" problem is just worse than we all thought.

2. Hyōron-ka no videogame always fails to mention if it is sufficiently kawaii. Yunei, they do not have the keiken for such things.
    Donk

KUSOGE ISN'T SO LIGHT A THING!
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Reviewers typically blow ass when it comes to what you actually enjoy and are only good for reinforcing your view on something or responding with "OH NO HE JUST DI'NT"
    Eh. Reviews are handy when:

1. The reviewer does a great job explaining why something works or fails. The problem with this is you can clearly explain a problem...even if it doesn't actually exist, so you generally need to hear the same complaints from multiple sources.
    2. It's a reviewer whose opinions generally match yours.

Ideally you'll find a critic with similar opinions who can explain their feelings well...and reviews shittons of games. Does TNL still believe in the Gamego mission statement of words and who is speaking them being more important than numbers?

This is probably the most worrisome thing in the review:
    Sometimes, when you need to hit several enemies in a row to get across a large gap, you'll hit the first two, Sonic will inexplicably fail to connect with the third and you'll fall to your death. Sometimes you'll jump towards an enemy and Sonic will opt instead to perform a simple double-jump and take damage as he collides with his intended target.
    But then he says stuff like
    It hardly helps that the enemies can be unbearably cheap. Like an invisible chameleon that suddenly appears on the wall you were climbing. Or a crab that fires its shell upwards when you try to jump over it.
    So quickly react to the chameleon and don't jump over the crab?

or

Imagine all of those things, and now imagine them all in a slippy-slidey ice world that makes Sonic even harder to control, and you might understand why I came perilously close to biting my GamePad at one particularly sharp difficulty spike
    Sonic has tradtiionally had momentum/built up speed slowly/skid to a stop, so...

The guy is saying some things that raise some weak sauce and "I demand perfect control of my character always, at all times" flags.

Personally, I was out as soon as I saw lockon attacks, so whatever.

5. Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima View Post
    Eh. Reviews are handy when:

1. The reviewer does a great job explaining why something works or fails. The problem with this is you can clearly explain a problem...even if it doesn't actually exist, so you generally need to hear the same complaints from multiple sources.
    2. It's a reviewer whose opinions generally match yours.

Ideally you'll find a critic with similar opinions who can explain their feelings well...and reviews shittons of games. Does TNL still believe in the Gamego mission statement of words and who is speaking them being more important than numbers?
    What's a GameGO!?
    But yeah, i agree with that. I still don't trust it 100%, since no matter how much you trust or relate to a reviewer, there will be something you really enjoy that they don't and vice-versa. Number rankings are mostly pretty stupid for judging something you might or might not really enjoy. I don't know how The Next Level has gotten to 2013 still trying to justify them when we were patting ourselves on the back for knowing that in 2001.
    Donk

6. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    I think the "video game reviewers suck at video games" problem is just far worse than we all thought.
    I can confirm that this game requires you to actually play instead of holding up and steering a little.

7. If the demo is anything like what was at E3 it will seem like the best Sonic in years. I was really impressed by what I played, and the reviews don't match my experience at all. Still, E3 demo. Maybe they're right and Sega cherry-picked the levels.

James

8. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    I think the "video game reviewers suck at video games" problem is just far worse than we all thought.
    Given that we now have more access to game reviewer's videos of playthroughs and unassociated LPs, I'd agree.

I've seen countless professional sites where gameplay vids of anything but the most benign experiences getting flubbed over and over. Giant Bomb does it. Kotaku does it. Etc.

The Kotaku review goes out of it's way to talk about how much slower the Wii U one is, but then a LP on youtube posted the same day shows a guy jamming through it, while explaining that he likes the fact that it feels like Genny Sonic (you could go fast, or there are a bunch of things to discover). Also, it seems like the vids from reviewers show them eating it at points this LPer just glides through.

(anyway, here - it's long but 4:08 - 5:00 ish shows what I'm talking about)

The thing is, in the right hands it looks damn fun - much like Wonderful 101, Vanquish, etc. look good when a good player plays. So I don't know how much of this negativity is part of "reviewers can't play games" and/or "this is a bad game"

Oh, then there's this.

Quote Originally Posted by end of Eurogamer review
    It's telling that the highlights of Lost World are the moments where Sonic Team allows the hedgehog to do what he does best: high-velocity platforming that tests your ability to follow high-speed action and to reflexively respond to danger. Sonic thrives on simplicity, and I still think Sega could reinvent him for the mobile market: give PastaGames a call, perhaps, and get them to make a side-scroller along the lines of Rayman Jungle Run
    Emphasis mine.

So the review comes from the standpoint that Sonic = gotta go fast! And while I like Rayman Jungle Run, making a traditional Sonic be that is definitely not what I want in a Sonic game.
    Last edited by Hero; 23 Oct 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

9. Whoa, that looks really good.

10. Quote Originally Posted by end of Eurogamer review
    It's telling that the highlights of Lost World are the moments where Sonic Team allows the hedgehog to do what he does best: high-velocity platforming that tests your ability to follow high-speed action and to reflexively respond to danger. Sonic thrives on simplicity, and I still think Sega could reinvent him for the mobile market: give PastaGames a call, perhaps, and get them to make a side-scroller along the lines of Rayman Jungle Run
    LOL, that's why Yoshi likes all these shitty Eurogamer reviews. "We can't play game but maybe iOS runner we would like it"
    Donk