Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Papers, Please

1. Papers, Please

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. no no no no no no no

Part of why Papers, Please is so effective is because it points to--and closes--the gap in film's ability to make you choose between two ethically ambiguous, irreconcilable things. Film can encourage you to identify with the person who makes that choice, but the game goes beyond identification. Identification gives you an out in that gap between you and the action; it lets you think, "Yeah that'd suck to have to do that lol." The game doesn't give you that out. It works as a critique of every single piece of non-interactive fiction in its insistence that "You had to be there." The medium really is the message.

I was hoping to find out the developer totally disavows the short film, but it turns out he was actually involved in its production. Which is a bummer. The game itself disavows the film, though--you need only ask it.

That said, for a movie that misses the point just by existing, it's pretty good.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 28 Feb 2018 at 01:08 PM.

3. *COMPLETELY DISAGREE*, the short is showing one possibility that you could get playing the game, out of any number of scenarios that you could find yourself in. This could easily be a series showing different 'paths'; the character we follow here is making a set of choices, based on input and cues we get about his character, that have consequences.

You can play the game more than once and roll a completely different circumstance every time, this is one circumstance.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 28 Feb 2018 at 01:45 PM.

4. I think it's a wonderful trailer for the game, which is all it should be.

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    *COMPLETELY DISAGREE*, the short is showing one possibility that you could get playing the game, out of any number of scenarios that you could find yourself in. This could easily be a series showing different 'paths'; the character we follow here is making a set of choices, based on input and cues we get about his character, that have consequences.

You can play the game more than once and roll a completely different circumstance every time, this is one circumstance.
    Counterpoint: nah.

6. Rong.

Real meeting of the minds.

8. He's got his little writer opinion and I've got my visual arts opinion and I don't think we're gonna meet in the middle.

This can only be decided by combat.

10. “meet in the middle” is code speak for sword fighting.