Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 212141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

1. How do the SMS Sonic games hold up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. The first one holds up very well. It was the only one made by Ancient and feels different from the others (in a good way). A bit simplistic compared to the Genesis version, but with its own charm. It's similar to the GG version, but has some differences here and there (different bonus levels, slightly harder bosses, only upward scrolling with Jungle 2, sky base different in parts). I like what I played of Sonic 2, as well. It is similar to the GG one, but benefits from extra screen space (more so than the others, which were better designed around GG's screen). SMS Sonic 2 also has different boss music. Those are the only ones I have played the cart of, but I also plan to pick up Sonic Chaos, which I like for GG, despite how easy it is. From what I have seen of it, the SMS one is similar, but has different music in places. Sonic Blast is a lazy Tec Toy port and probably not worth picking up (wasn't really fond of what I played of the GG one either).

From what I have seen Sonic 1, 2, and Chaos are fairly cheap from EU sellers on ebay, but often go at higher prices than they should on US auctions. I wish people would stop making auctions for common games that can be easily found for under 20 dollars (at least for Sonic 2 and maybe Sonic 1, but Sonic Chaos won't break the bank either) go for 40 plus.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 07 Dec 2013 at 10:07 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    How do the SMS Sonic games hold up?
    Sonic Chaos is totally good. It doesn't have the flow of the Genesis ones but it's a great game in its own right, especially judged against other 8 bit platformers.

I used to like Sonic Chaos more than 1 and 2. It has improvements like the spin dash, flying Tails, and much nicer graphics. But, going back to it, the slowdown and lack of difficulty bothered me more than before. Those aren't really issues in the first two. All three (ignore Sonic Blast) are worth playing, though. They're different enough from the Genesis games.

5. I wonder why SMS never got Triple Trouble.

Is there a small go converter? I'd like to revisit my awesome go collection.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I wonder why SMS never got Triple Trouble.
    Probably because the SMS releases were starting to die down around that time. I have no idea why TecToy in Brazil, where SMS lasted longer, chose to port Sonic Blast over it, though.

So how is there not a gg to sms converter?

9. Color issues has been the usual stated hurdle.

Yeah, the GG can display many more colors than the SMS, so SMS games will play on the Gear but not the other way around.