Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 515171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

hahaha this thread has the best opening ever! I was just giving people a hard time, I really like the SMS. The Outrun and Space Harrier ports did grow on me, but Afterburner is kind of a bad and shallow game anyway.

Rampage is pretty good and is definitely fun but there's a lot that was off about it. I was a big Rampage kid in the arcades and I know that stuff feels weird. I'll go back and compare the two side by side, but from memory it's harder than it should be to eat people while hanging on a building, the buildings break in a weird way and drop faster than I remember, there are far less items around, the jump is slower than normal movement and has some weird properties (can nullify the knockback of a tank shot or missile), etc. It's a little off in some weird ways.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

Afterburer is pretty terrible. As big of an AB fan I am the SMS port was a real disappointment, even back in the day. Outrun and Space Harrier I wouldn't play now but was a good port for the time considering the hardware, but Afterburner made me hurl.

3. I remember being very excited for After Burner, and finally getting it for Christmas. The graphics were great for the time, but I was crushed when I realized you could just hold left or right and avoid ever getting hit.

SMS Rampage was way, way better than the NES version, but the best version is still the Lynx's.

4. That only worked for the first 11 stages or so.

I liked SMS After Burner at the time. It's not a port I would bother with today.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX
    Nobody on my playground knew what the fuck a SMS was.
    My neighbourhood wasn't like that. Our 1987 school Christmas raffle had an SMS as the grand prize, and everyone was super excited. Most of us didn't have either system at that point. The largest of my local malls had like six different places to buy Sega games in the late '80s. The NES was way more popular but everyone into gaming in my high school was aware of Sega. The elementary school kids a few years younger seemed to be even more Nintendo dominated, though.

IrishNinja, I have noticed you on various sites lately. Did you use a different name before?

He's big on Gaming Age. I'm taking him out of the slums and into better forums =P
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    My neighbourhood wasn't like that. Our 1987 school Christmas raffle had an SMS as the grand prize, and everyone was super excited.
    You wacky Canadians.

The SMS did well in the third world.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    You wacky Canadians.
    You wouldn't be excited to win a $200(?) system in the '80s? Even an Atari 7800 would have been cool to win. My (still) best friend ended up winning it (I won a shitty screwdriver set) but he had the system already and exchanged it for games.

Anecdotally, the internet makes me think that BC and WA state might have been a bit higher for SMS sales than other places on the continent (not that that says much). The joint US/Can TV station KVOS ran a good amount of ads for the system.

10. ^damn man, 6 places to buy SMS games?! i thought only EU had it like that...i had local TRU (like one shelf, vs 2 entire aisles of NES) and Lionel Playworld (RIP), the latter of which actually had the decency to go out of business & let me get games at $5-10 a pop! TRU would just stop carrying them, presumably the angry cuban bearded employees kept them or gave them to their NES-having kids or some shit, ugh.

the Suzuki ports were more on the technically-impressive-that-this-is-actually-kind-of-working end; After Burner of course didn't have the adrenaline/excitement of the arcade one but even the Ages one, while worlds better, didn't do it for me, that feel was finally captured in Climax. Space Harrier wasn't that bad by me (had it on GG too), Thunder Blade...did what it could, and had some neat effects but that one never saw a proper port to be honest. i'll not hear negative words about Hang-On or likely OutRun.

NeoZeed - as Mzo said, i was bigger on GAF before (kotaku prior, TheGIA & such in the day) but ive been trying to branch out! and yeah man winning any console as a kid is pretty awesome, honestly.