Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11212324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

Everything is really small so it's more like Gradius than R-Type, but it's still fun.

SSJN pointed out the secret level to me. I had no idea all this time.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    SSJN pointed out the secret level to me. I had no idea all this time.
    You are now part of the inner circle. Every classic system has its "secret handshake" game stuff known by its fans:

2600 - Robinett easter egg, Space Invaders double shots code
    NES - Konami code, SMB's Minus World
    Master System - R-Type's Super Stage, Snail Maze code
    Genesis - Mortal Kombat blood code, Sonic debug mode

4. The Space Harrier jet plane was a big one among SMS kids too I remember

5. I never thought much of that one. It had no animation whatsoever.
    I do like the sound test, though. The boss theme is unique to the SMS and I don't think I've gotten to the end more than once ever.

6. I didn't know about R-Type, gotta youtube it now.

Holy fuck how did he dodge all those circle balls at the boss.
    Last edited by kingoffighters; 16 Dec 2014 at 11:45 PM.

7. Two dozen of those things at once... Very good dodging.

Space Harrier's Haya Oh is also in the x68000 version, but looks a lot easier there than in the SMS one. On the 3DS version it's there as a True Last Boss- if you have continued AND ever gotten hit in stage 18, no deal.
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 17 Dec 2014 at 01:05 AM.

plugged the thing up. So far I like OutRun the best of what I have. Its pretty charming. Wonderboy is pretty good too. I like the controls of it better than its NES counter part.

The level design is better, too. Hudson Soft went crazy and made the last few levels way too hard in Adventure Island.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I always was really intrigued by the Master System as a kid since it had all the arcade games I liked like Shinobi and Afterburner, and the graphics looked better. But I never got to really play one beyond a demo unit that had a gun game like Gangster Town or something (which seemed so much better than Duck Hunt or Hogan's Alley) until I was a teenager and a friend had one, toward the end of 16bit/entering 32-bit eras. I remember trying all the games he had, which were mostly sports games and Rampage or something similar, and thinking how much better than NES the hardware seemed, but none of the games compared.

Then I popped in Phantasy Star and my mind was blown. I never played it again after that until the GBA collection, but I always looked for it and an SMS at used shops in the years between and simply never found them when I could buy them. I still want one to try the lens-shutter glasses, the Wonder Boy joints, and Phantasy Star.

Am I wrong in thinking the Power Base Converter was actually the first commercial emulator?
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...