Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13232526272829 LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

1. Melf, if you add a can of Endust to your wishlist, I can show you a, uh, mod that will make that Phantasy Star look even better!

splash wave is such a catchy song

3. I don't know if it's just me being weird, but I prefer the sound of the SMS to that of the technically superior Mark III for most games.

4. The FM sound is much better for games like Double Dragon and Phantasy Star. Ys sounds a million times better with it.

Last edited by Melf; 21 Dec 2014 at 09:57 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't know if it's just me being weird, but I prefer the sound of the SMS to that of the technically superior Mark III for most games.
    There's no difference in system specs, just an accessory with an extra sound chip for FM sound (or an extra sound chip built in with the JP SMS). Mark III has the PSG just like the western systems. The games sound just like the US versions on systems without the FM chip. It's possible to mod US systems for FM and most games that have FM for the JP versions have it on the US cart, as well (Phantasy Star and Ys being the exceptions). Even some games that weren't released in Japan like California Games have FM. One odd thing is despite coming out after the FM chip, Final Bubble Bobble lacks FM.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 22 Dec 2014 at 07:26 PM.

Ok

7. Some games just play the same 3-track music arrangements on FM and PCM and a lot of those don't sound great on FM. But the ones that actually have seperate arrangements for the FM that take advantage of the hardware often sound much better.

8. I think I also heard that many games that used the FM only used a few channels due to limitations of the chip, though. I know for sure that's the case with the Namco chip for Famicom. I heard MSX uses the same chip as the SMS FM and it seems Aleste and Golvellius actually use the same FM. Maze Hunter seems to make good use of it.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 27 Dec 2014 at 10:58 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    I think I also heard that many games that used the FM only used a few channels due to limitations of the chip, though. I know for sure that's the case with the Namco chip for Famicom. I heard MSX uses the same chip as the SMS FM and it seems Aleste and Golvellius actually use the same FM. Maze Hunter seems to make good use of it.
    I think it was actually cartridge space that was the factor on some of those games. If they played the same music on PCM as FM they didn't have to have extra space set aside for a bulkier, more layered FM version.

The English release of Phantasy Star had the FM music cut to make room for the English script, for example. Homebrew translations have gotten around this, of course.

This thread has become horrible.