Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142426272829 LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

1. The Mark III music for Phantasy Star is offensive to my ears. I can't understand how anybody would say it's better than the Master System version's music.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. I'm actually all for the PSG version too, idk exactly why.

3. Are you sure that's not just nostalgia? I love the MS version too, but the FM just sounds so much better to me.

4. I don't think so... I didn't play it until like the mid-2000s and still haven't played more than like an hour of it. I'm only going by the main theme alone, too.

5. The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

Partially, sure, but the FM versions just sound way too over-produced and "off" to me. More like they're remixes from someone trying to put their own spins on the songs.

But yeah, totally also nostalgia, especially given the original Phantasy Star was one of the first console RPGs we got in the States, and the game to make me fall in love with RPGs.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. I feel the same. All those songs are still etched into my brain. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

7. The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

I just think of the games as Master System games since Japan has thier own SMS and even started using both names on later Mark III games. I actually have both US and JP versions of Phantasy Star. I played the US version more due to It being in English, but I like the music in the JP one better. I might get a flash cart eventually so I can have the best of both worlds and play the re-translated version on cart with FM sound.

I wish Wonder Boy III wasn't so finicky with JP systems so I could play it on a real system with FM sound. PSG in that game isn't bad, though. One thing I noticed is that some of the games with better FM like Fantasy Zone II and Maze Hunter 3D have weak PSG.

Not sure if I mentioned this here, but I noticed something else odd when playing some US games on the JP system with tototek adapter and on a region switched Genesis with PBC. Some games that don't like the Genesis pad play fine with it in JP mode. I tried this with Penguin Land, Bomber Raid, and Wonder Boy in Monster Land and it's the same case with all three.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 30 Dec 2014 at 02:22 AM.

8. Wonder Boy III and Kenseiden sound pretty awesome with FM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Kenseiden sound pretty awesome with FM.
    Oh really? I really loved the music the non-FM music in Kenseiden.

This guy combines both, but puts them in seperate channels.

Last edited by Brisco Bold; 30 Dec 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Melf is befriending important elders in the video game industry, suffocating them in their sleep and taking their games.

I'm on to you.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery