Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Oh yeah? Awesome ports like this pile of shit After Burner I'm playing right now? Or the garbage version of Space Harrier? The worst Double Dragon of all time? A nasty and stuttery OutRun? Maybe Vigilante, the worst fucking game ever made?

Those 80's arcade ports?
    The arcade ports were great at the time, but there's no reason to go back and play them. The Double Dragon port is better than the NES one, though, tiny sprites aside.

Wonder Boy in ML/WB3, Kenseiden, Penguin Land, Phantasy Star, Alex Kidd, Ghost House, Golvellius, Choplifter, Power Strike II, Fantasy Zone 2... That's the shit that's probably most interesting in hindsight.

If I was only allowed to have like 15 games, I'd still take the SMS's best games over the NES's.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jun 2013 at 12:42 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Yeah, that looked like a decent Castlevania-like. Definitely list all the good stuff here, I'm enjoying the system as much as I am enjoying talking shit about it.
    Yeah, Kenseiden's a little more than a Castlevania-like. The feel of the combat is very different than Castlevania, it's just the block stairs that gets them compared, really. Really good game.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Goddamn this system is a pile of shit.

If my parents had bought me this instead of an NES I would have killed myself. They would have found my tiny body swinging lifelessly from a belt in the closet.
    This is the best possible opening post this thread could have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The Double Dragon port is better than the NES one, though, tiny sprites aside.
    Not even a little bit. The controls and AI are completely busted. You can't even combo into a grab. You can't even sit on enemies and punch them in the face, which is the best part. It's a super-flickery mess.

5. I'm glad I had the SMS instead of the NES growing up.

Phantasy Star is better than any NES game.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

6. That's what all the SMS kids said.
    Donk

7. I'm with Mzo. I tried back in the day because of the home port of Quartet which sucked horribly even then. I've tried multiple times since with the same results, even using lists from people here on TNL that they claimed were worthy. I just never got the SMS.

8. Quartet isn't really a port of the arcade game. It wasn't even called that in Japan, it was Double Target.

9. There are plenty of good games, but most are ports that can't compare to their original forms.
    Stuff like Streets of Rage and Wonder Boy III are fine games in their own right, but there just isn't much point in playing them on SMS.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    There are plenty of good games, but most are ports that can't compare to their original forms.
    Stuff like Streets of Rage and Wonder Boy III are fine games in their own right, but there just isn't much point in playing them on SMS.
    This is bullshit, as far as WB3 goes. The physics in the TG-16 version are off, the changed character/boss designs are horrible, the graphical "improvements" are just a tacky recolor with some gradients crammed in, and the soundtrack isn't as good (particularly if you're using the FM module on SMS). The SMS version is the definitive.

Unless you meant the Game Gear version. Which is alright, but I don't like the zoomed in view. And again, no FM music.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jun 2013 at 08:03 AM.