Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Well shit. Who am I thinking of? I'm pretty sure he had Cloud Master at one point.

amazing how few of those have changed in 10 years
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. I was too (an SMS kid). Mzo is just a cranky turtle.
    Psycho Fox is as good as any floaty NES platformer and looks twice as good.
    Rastan is still good, I liked it more than the arcade.
    Time Soldiers is great.
    Rambo II is great.
    Rampage may be outdated since you can play the arcade, but it was a great port for its time.
    Bomber Raid was a good 1942 esque shooter.
    Penguin Land is great.
    R-Type not only plays great, but it has an exclusive level.

Don't even get me started on the European shit.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 07 Jun 2013 at 04:13 PM.

3. The first time I tried a friend's SMS, I fired it up for 30 seconds, laughed, and went back outside to throw things on the roof (or whatever the fuck we were doing in 1989).
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. The first time I tried a friend's NES, I fired it up, watched the power light blink for 30 seconds, laughed, and went back outside to throw things at yeller's windows.

5. Good thing you were 30 at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Imma toys r us kid.

7. I actually had the choice of an SMS or an NES. I remember looking at both of them side by side at the Toys R Us. I said I wanted an SMS (of course) and the guy working there seemed surprised and told me most kids wanted an NES. I looked at him like he was trying to trick me and said "What, do you think I'm stupid?" or something to that effect.

Admittedly at the time, my gaming world was based around arcade games, so I thought Nintendo was the Donkey Kong people and Sega was the HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT 3D GAME people.

But it was undeniably the right decision, since that would be the last time anyone would buy me a game at the store for many years, and the SMS's failure meant I could get games cheaply and abundantly at flea markets. I had like 30+ games for my SMS while all my NES-owning friends had like 5 games because they cost so much.

8. Yup!
    Kay Bee clearance was my friend. I would have never played Wanted or Shanghai if they weren't $9.99 new, and I grew to love them.

9. $9.99? That's rich kid shit. Most of my games were $2. Maybe $5.

I remember I found Phantasy Star was $10, and it was the most expensive game I had ever seen, but I had never seen anything like it, so I asked my dad to borrow $5 more so I could get it. I had no fucking idea that shit was like $90 in the store.

10. Lol, copy/posta

I'm 31, and my brother is 8 years older than I.
    Anyhow, when I was four, a friend of the family gave us a Super Pong. My brother and I spent hours playing that thing. (I still have it, but it no longer keeps track of score). When I was seven, my brother got an Intellivision, but we never got many games for that, though Demon Attack was one that we did get, and that remains a favorite to this day.
    I didn't get my own system until I was in the fourth grade. There's a story behind it, but I've posted it before. Anyhow, I got a Sega Master System with Hang On/Safari Hunt and Thunderblade.
    I didn't get many games, maybe four a year; but like most kids whether the game sucked or not, you learned to like it because that was all you were going to get. I avidly read EGM and Computer Games and Videogame Entertainment and for the most part their reviews never lead me astray. I was big into the arcades back then, so stuff like Shinobi, Double Dragon, R-Type, and even Space Harrier were sure bets. That is one thing looking back at the SMS that I really appreciate, that unlike some systems, I don't recall ever picking up an arcade port and being let down.
    It wasn't long until most places were clearing the SMS games out, and even then I don't think I had any games that I outright hated. There were games like Shanghai and Wanted that I didn't like at first, but really dug the more I played them.
    As the system was dying, I picked up quite a few games on the cheap. The SMS and Turbografx were the last systems where I religiously played every game I got until I beat it.
    I eventually picked up a Genesis and SNES, and they were the beginning of me buying games just to buy games. It's been a downward spiral ever since.
    Sega Master System was my first system, and I'd be lucky to get two or three games a year, and they were the cheap ones at that. So, I learned to love Balck Belt and F16 Fighting Falcon.
    I'm sort of in the same boat as Master, my main consoles were Sega Master System, Turbografx, Sega CD ( i bought a CDX, and refused to buy cartridges for the longest time), and Saturn. I loved them all. Will I cry outrage when others say they all suck? No. I had fun with them, and that's that.
    See, I am a jinx!
    I apologize to everyone who supported HD DVD over Bluray. I recently got into HD DVD myself, so that clinches it. Bluray will win.
    For proof, I'll list all the consoles I bought as my primary console for their generation. Sega Master System, Turbo Grafx, Saturn, Dreamcast.
    Again, I apologize for killing the format.