Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Master System Games and Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    They're selling for like $20-$30...
    Mine is 100% complete in a box. Who exactly do you think you're talking to here?

Any impressions of an RPG called Miracle Warriors? Worth playing?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. I played it back in the day.. i don't know how it stands the test of time though.

It was fun back then.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    It's a decent old school game that's part of the Haja No Fuuin series.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Extremely old-school. Like moreso than Dragon Quest 1. Fairly minimal graphics, not a lot of help on where to go if you didn't pay attention. Good game, though.

In retrospect, it was a huge fluke that I managed to be from a low income family and have a C64, NES, and SMS at the same time back in the day. All three were awesome in their own ways, and I think it helped give me a wide appreciation for the medium.

The SMS was a powerhouse for quality and quantity of first-party releases coming off of 1988 but with a lot of their best internal staff switching to Genesis development, it never had quite the same momentum after that. I was also a bit disappointed that later releases didn't really push the hardware further for graphic effects (no enhancement chips as far as I know like many other systems).

- Like with the NES, a lot of the 2d arcade ports are different enough from the originals to be their own great things. SMS Bubble Bobble is the definitive home version with lots of extra content. Choplifter's a bit faster than the arcade and plays just as well. Opinions are mixed on Rastan but I always enjoyed it (love the added wall jump). R-Type has its own vibe and an extra level with awesome Guardian Legend-ish Compile music.

- Shinobi is a classic, and even more impressive when you factor in that it predates most of the other highly praised action-platformers of that gen. The same goes for Kenseiden; there's a lot of depth to it when you explore around to gain new skills.

- Quartet bashers here? Seriously? A two-player co-op platform/shooter hybrid with nice colourful graphics, catchy music, a female lead character, and a multi-segmented boss way before Treasure existed was very unique and cool for the home market in 1987. And it's still good outside of that context.

- Is there anyone that doesn't like Penguin Land? I spent hours on the level editor alone. You're a horrible human being if you think this game is bad. It's definitely the best original puzzle game on the system.

- Some quality cartoon platformers in the later years: Castle and Land of Illusion, Sonic series, Asterix, and Taz-Mania.

- The gun games are excellent for hardware and software reasons: Rescue Mission, Gangster Town, Safari Hunt, Missile Defense 3-D (I wish this had a 2d mode as my 3d glasses are busted), Rambo III, etc..

- Some of the games that were also on Genesis have overlooked SMS versions worth playing: Ms. Pac-Man, Klax, Robocop vs the Terminator, Paperboy, Chuck Rock II, Alien 3, Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

- If you like stuff like Ikari Warriors and Guerrilla War, you'll probably like Rambo and Time Soldiers, too.

- The SMS brought JRPGs to the West with Miracle Warriors and more importantly the amazing Phantasy Star. This was all before the NES even had any RPGs localized. And it was the first time Ys appeared in English as well.

- If you liked 8-bit computer games, the SMS had some graphically enhanced ports with their own style: California Games (arguably still the best version), Shanghai (Bitch, don't steal my tiles!) Impossible Mission, Montezuma's Revenge.

- Wonder Boy III is a masterpiece of platform/adventuring. It's to the 8-bit era what Super Metroid is to the 16-bit era. And Frogacuda is correct that it's better than Dragon's Curse.

- Also recommended:
    Wonder Boy 1 and Monster Land
    Power Strike 1 and 2 (emulate the latter, it's super expensive)
    Ninja Gaiden (not the best in the franchise but it's a neat exclusive. Includes horrible fucking birds!)
    Alex Kidd (Shinobi and Miracle World),
    Psycho Fox
    Master of Darkness (Castlevania rip-off; I feel bad Brisco didn't like it as he might have bought it partially on my recommendation)
    Golden Axe Warrior
    Astro Warrior (if you like Star Soldier/Terra Cresta era shooters),
    Action Fighter (if you like Spy Hunter)
    Fantasy Zone (1,2, and The Maze)
    Zillion (if you like Impossible Mission)
    Ultima IV (if you can deal with really old school RPGs)
    Reggie Jackson Baseball (if you like Tommy Lasorda Baseball)
    Kung Fu Kid (kind of short and easy but I like replaying it)
    World Grand Prix (if you like Pole Position, smooth scrolling for an 8-bit racer).
    Everyone but me seems to hate Lord of the Sword but one day I'll convert someone to it.

- And if you want to play a licensed game so horrendously bad that it's almost good, then check out Alf.

- Don't forget to hold up and both buttons when you turn on the system with no cartridge in to play Snail Maze if you have an SMS1. The most annoyingly repetitive drum beat ever will stick in your head forever.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 21 Jul 2013 at 12:25 AM.

WTB: everything in Zeed's post.

Nice post! I just got a beautiful-looking Monster Land and am waiting on Wonder Boy III.

I'll check out Quartet if you say it's worth checking out!
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I should hunt down a master system. They always looked so cool in magazine ads.

Don't forget that a handful of SMS games are on the Wii VC, so depending on what you want to play, you can save money and still support the companies instead of resale jerk Hi, Paul!