Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords of the Fallen (PC, PS4, One)

1. First impressions:

It's got the good feels to it so far, but it is a little floaty. The combat animations, while you can roll out of most of them, seem to take a little longer than you'd think they should, like dude is really winding up for a big swing, when he's just swinging a normal sword. The version I bought had some DLC weapons included, and the Hammer type weapons are sweet but they swing so goddamn slow... Got to the first boss and he put up all sorts of a fight, mainly because I kept misjudging the distance of my attack (it's very short) and the timing of my dodges (will take a little getting used to). Game looks very nice, but the camera itself is also a little floaty, coasting to a stop after I've stopped turning the view. Many things are handled just like Souls: Health/Energy(stamina)/Magic bars, chugging potions (Estus) but that's a little faster and more forgiving, backstabs and parrying and dual wielding, equip load determines your Energy recovery and overall speed. You're thrown straight into it with no real lead in for the story, all I know right now is I'm looking for some guy and I don't know who he is or why I'm trying to save him before his health runs out. Audio log collectibles were trying to tell me stuff, but I kept getting trophies and backing out to look at them, except the game didn't stop what it was doing so I'd come back and be midway through a cutscene or something lol.

So far I'm liking it and the combat feels good, but I'll be able to dig in for real tonight, hopefully I'll get far enough to figure out the crafting and rune stuff and can report back later.

2. Keep up the impressions. I'm still interested.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

3. Ran into several bugs so far, only about 3 hours in. One woman I can speak to at any time is now completely silent, just any time I talk to her all game audio stops for our whole conversation. Lured an enemy out of a boss fight area without realizing he's supposed to be in there for a cutscene when you kill him, froze the game. Got back into the boss fight, got him halfway dead (these fuckers have lots of health), merged with the floor somehow, sat immobile until I was slaughtered and killed, but the game wouldn't reset me. Just sat there, merged with the floor, my corpse eating attack after attack. Turned it off.

Up until that point it was getting to be more fun, and more like Dark Souls. There are checkpoints you respawn at, and you still run back to where you died to regain you EXP, but now there's a slowly draining counter that takes away EXP if you don't get there quick enough. You can use checkpoints to refill your health and health potions without respawning the enemies (that happens when you die), but it looks like there may be a finite number of times you can refill at each checkpoint (unconfirmed, there just seem to be floating shards around the checkpoint and I noticed one break off and die when I used it). You freely decide at checkpoints which magic or attributes you want to level up, which I haven't really done so that may be why my damage output sucks at the moment. I like that when you kill enemies without dying you increase a multiplier that gives you more EXP and better item drops, no idea the cap on it but I had it up to x2.4 or so at one point. The different weapons are standard but fun, and they have the exact same properties as DS. Almost the same control scheme as well. Forward + R2 is still a leaping plunge attack, while forward + R1 is a kick, same dodge button functions (just mapped to a different button, causing me many problems so far as I'm used to pressing a certain button to dodge in games like this).

I like the camera more now that the game opened up a little. The same lock-on targeting as DS is here but while locked on you can still look around slightly with the right stick, which is awesome and makes me hope that someone at From plays this game and likes that feature enough to add it to Bloodborne. Unlikely, but its a nice touch. Also finding items in the many breakable objects in the world was a nice surprise, usually that stuff is just there for show. And yes, rolling through every breakable object, tables and chairs included, is ripped right from DS and a definite option, so I roll around everywhere The first level so far is pretty large, although I've been going through every little room and corner, of which there are many. Will be interested to see what other kind of environments they get into. Those screens and the trailer only show the first level, and stuff you'd see in the first 30 minutes or so.

4. What system are you playing this on?

5. That's what I'll be getting it for as well, thanks.

6. Just as a warning, if you're bothered at all by screen tearing, it's bad enough on the PS4 (when combined with overall engine hiccups) to give me a headache whenever I play.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

7. Thanks for the info but all kidding aside, I'm not even sure what screen tearing is. I've heard the term a million times but just never looked into it.

8. Screen tearing is when the image on screen is cut in half due to various graphical factors (refresh rate, etc.) but it's definitely noticeable if it's bad.

Usually the feature "v-sync" helps with this type of thing but it depends on how well developers implement it.

9. V-sync does actually fix the problem completely, but a lot of games use a soft v-sync that disengages when the frame rate dips below 30fps (better to have 27 than 15 or whatever). Sounds like this game doesn't use it at all.