Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: NEC/TTi System Appreciation Thread (PCE, TG16, SG, PC-FX, etc.)

1. True story: I totally convinced my dad to get me a Duo because we'd be able to use it as a CDrom for the PC.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Wasn't that supposed to be a supergrafx game that got ported to Arcade CD?
    I'm fairly sure that was.

Spriggan's overall framerate & speed are reportedly helped by the arcade card, even though it came out 3 years sooner.
    This thread deserves a mention of Nexzr.

The well-done opening cinema features a tragic prologue taking place in 2012 (!) where you lose your squadron, including a cute female squadmate- and jumps ahead to 2015 where you're back at it to kick the enemy's ass. While Nexzr sticks to mostly space-type environments for its stage backdrops, the truly challenging gameplay (a thinking shooter, like Pulstar, Viewpoint, etc. but with vertical scrolling) takes center stage here. Nexzr's soundtrack is great, especially the stage 3 theme. One cool subweapon is a couple of pods that pitbull the enemy Battle Garegga/Musha style. Unfortunately the cutscenes are taken out of the later Nexzr Special rerelease for some lame reason, but this one does offer caravan modes.

3. I used to have Brandish, Gulliver Boy, and 3X3 Eyes (with Hu Video that I never watched!) which were all arcade enhanced, though it wasn't required.
    I recall the Arcade version of Fatal Fury Special blowing the Sega CD version away (especially when it came to the stages), though like was said before, most of the arcade card stuff can be played elsewhere, better. I used to like Mad Stalker, but the x68000 version outshines it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I used to have Brandish, Gulliver Boy, and 3X3 Eyes (with Hu Video that I never watched!) which were all arcade enhanced, though it wasn't required.
    I recall the Arcade version of Fatal Fury Special blowing the Sega CD version away (especially when it came to the stages), though like was said before, most of the arcade card stuff can be played elsewhere, better. I used to like Mad Stalker, but the x68000 version outshines it.
    FFS on Sega CD I really found disappointing. About every stage had a few things yoinked from it. The crowd and the sheep in Big Bear's stage are MIA, Krauser's orchestra has suffered a few layoffs, Mai's raft is missing the flags, Duck's nightclub has an empty dance floor while the video wall only flashes "Fatal Fury", and the gears in Billy's stage don't spin. Also, you hear neither the announcer during a match nor the awesome "THUD" of Krauser hitting the floor for the final time. The TOD change isn't even in! At least Terry's stage turned out OK- it's got parallax unlike most of the others. FFS should have been saved for 32X CD which had 10 megabits.

5. The TurboGrafx/Duo were really kick ass back in the day and to be quite honest, they still are. I still have a TG-16 and a Duo with many quality games for them. Some of my best memories from gaming were when I had the TG-16 (for Legendary Axe) and the Genny (for Ghouls and Ghosts) and waiting for the SNES to come out. Man, I would go back to those times in a heartbeat...........great thread!

Also, Neutopia was an excellent Zelda clone. I played through part 2 also but I felt it wasn't the same quality.

Recently picked up a TG16 with a Turbo Booster and 10 games so I've been playing through a few of these.

Legendary Axe is really good. Splatterhouse was fun. Keith Courage isn't horrible but it's a really bad choice for the pack-in.

New Adventure Island is next!

7. Neutopia is so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    New Adventure Island is next!
    This is not!
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 17 Jul 2013 at 09:09 PM.

8. Is there a version of the console that just plays everything without all the add-ons?

9. Blazing Lazers was so much fun. The music in that game AT THE TIME was outstanding. Plus ...

'hield T'under.

Sometimes when I'm stressed at work I whistle that tune.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

I'm just gonna focus on US TurboChip releases for a while. I like narrowing down choices at first. Too bad I waited until the prices shot up all dumb =[

On my want list, feel free to encourage me to delete or add some:

Air Zonk
    Bonk's Adventure
    Dragon Spirit
    Neutopia
    Ninja Spirits
    Pac-Land
    Space Harrier

edit: also, wtf is Silent Debuggers? Worth it?
    Last edited by Mzo; 17 Jul 2013 at 09:48 PM.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery