Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7383858687888991 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cringe/Beta/Omega Thread

1. In between the first video and the second video, even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. I think she had some okay ideas that weren't especially well-delivered or supported.

She was going somewhere that might have been productive in pointing to a glaring inconsistency in comedians defending comedy as something that effects intended political/discursive consequences, but somehow never runs the risk of effecting unintended political/discursive consequences. What would have been a better approach than snark and off-the-wall strawman attacks ("Wouldn't it be funny if we all raped this girl" is not the kind of "joke" Norton, or anyone, is defending or even telling) is if she just asked him, "Can rape jokes affect how people think about rape?" Or, more broadly, "How does a joke change how we think about its subject/punch line?"

Her point about minstrelsy was a good one! Yes, Norton is right, that kind of humor was a product/reflection of social conditions, but it also helped reproduce those conditions.

It's like that Orwell example of the drunk whose drinking has consequences, and those consequences lead to more drinking, which has more consequences. Neither the drinking nor the fallout is exclusively cause or exclusively effect.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 22 Mar 2017 at 03:57 PM.

3. She was going somewhere that might have been productive in pointing to a glaring inconsistency in comedians defending comedy as something that effects intended political/discursive consequences, but somehow never runs the risk of effecting unintended political/discursive consequences.
    It comes with the territory. It's all fine. The solution, for people like Lindy West to declare what is and isn't "ok" to talk about, is worse.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I think the alpha beta thing can have merit in certain situations but the way most people use it on YouTubes and stuff is just like using Snowflake and Cuck, the words have ceased to have a meaning.
    No, it's really more like "Detox" and "Cleanse." It's a bullshit attempt to sound vaguely clinical/scientific while talking about absolute horseshit.

5. I tend to hear it more from people who are using it as insults or half assed hierarchy. I fear those who consider it scientific, ugh. I don't venture down the YouTube rabbit hole that often, but are there really those who use it as psychological gospel?
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

6. Oh, and I watched that video of her on the Canadian TV show, she was a bit more tolerable than other times I've seen her. I don't really hear her say anything that Roseanne hasn't said before, maybe a little less clever of a manner. But I know the overweight female constantly dieting and body image struggling etc is always a seller because "real women" can identify easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. I didnt watch it all, but I did watch more. I found it very ironic that she felt very strongly about not letting being called fat bother her because it's just a word. How can these people not see how silly they look when they arbitrarily choose what words should be allowed or not based on personal feelings? Why can't the same argument be used for other words that some find hurtful? They're all just words!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I can't stop.
    Remind me if she gets to the Western Sizzlin' before I do, to just drive on down to the next spot.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I didnt watch it all, but I did watch more. I found it very ironic that she felt very strongly about not letting being called fat bother her because it's just a word. How can these people not see how silly they look when they arbitrarily choose what words should be allowed or not based on personal feelings? Why can't the same argument be used for other words that some find hurtful? They're all just words!
    Meh, it's all about exerting control.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I tend to hear it more from people who are using it as insults or half assed hierarchy. I fear those who consider it scientific, ugh. I don't venture down the YouTube rabbit hole that often, but are there really those who use it as psychological gospel?
    Redpill/MRA shit appeals to authority with a mix of clinical and made up/coded terminology. Whether you want to call it pseudoscientific or cult/religious is sort of immaterial.

I've almost never heard alpha/beta actually applied correctly to humans. It's usually just a way to frame humans as "animals" and social standing as innate. It's total horseshit basically 100% of the time.

MRA forums are really pretty fascinating. I spent a week reading them to try to wrap my head around them and they're really sad. Interestingly, they've managed to convince themselves that almost anyone who actually has success with women is a beta, unless he's a stud with a new girl every weekend. They call themselves alphas, despite none of them having girlfriends, because feminism has made women turn away from alphas. It's really strange, really depressing shit.