Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nintendo 64 Appreciation or Lack Thereof Thread

1. For the record WCW World Tour was a Playstation game, not an N64 game.

2. The N64 didn't do it for me aside from a few games. I can still lose a hour just flying around Pilotwings, one of the more memorable 3D experiences I remember.

Odd fact about Blast Corps:

3. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    Oh and fuck every person that posted in this thread for not mentioning Excitebike 64.
    To be fair, the N64 is loaded with awesome racing games.

Beetle Adventure Racing
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Mario Kart 64
    Road Rash 64
    Snowboard Kids 2
    Wave Race 64

Even some of the b-tier and c-tier racers like Iggy's Wreckin' Balls, Micro Machines and Penny Racers were entertaining.

4. I was pretty happy with Ridge Racer 64 and Wipeout 64, too.

5. I'd bought the N64 about a week after its North American launch. I enjoyed playing Mario 64, Wave Race 64 and Pilot Wings during its early months, but was left with nothing to play until Shadow of the Empire came out. I was kind of dissapointed with that game.

The N64 was my least played console of that generation, but Rogue Squadron was such a good game, that I ended up buying a Gamecube to play Rogue Squadron 2.

6. Ridge Racer 64 and F-Zero 64 were my go-to games to play quickly before leaving for school because you could have a race in each, kind of wake up a bit, get a gaming fix in, and then go on with your day. No Mercy, Blast Corps, VPW 2, and F-Zero X are really the only reasons I turn on the N64 now. I can't believe I'm still getting so much use out of No Mercy - for nearly THIRTEEN YEARS that game has been played by me on a fairly regular basis.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. Star Soldier Vanishing Earth deserves a mention. While there are plenty of Saturn and PS STGs that trump this, on the N64 it sort of wins by default and is actually worth a damn. SSVE has hit chain scoring and also a roll-dodge to reflect bullets. The Normal mode difficulty is a little too easy- consider starting on Hard and it's about right. Graphics are a tad meh (if there were a N64 port of RayStorm, that would kill SSVE visually), but the BGM is pretty good stuff.

8. Related, the N64 was also around the beginning of video game sites on the internet that were actually worth a damn. N64.com and N64hq were visited like every day, before N64.com became IGN64. Remember arguing about whether Final Fantasy VII was even possible on N64? It wasn't, but it probably was possible on DS around the end. Remember that hopeful "Dragon Quest" on the future release lists? Remember hoping for N64 rpgs before anyone ever started calling Chrono Trigger a "jrpg"? There was a game that hung around on release lists for a while called "Eternal Blue" or something similar that i'm convinced became "Lost in Blue".
    Cartridges were still measured in megabits, so the 64DD having 64 Megabyte disks seemed really promising. Earthbound looked great, surely huge games would be possible on the 64D. It would save us all.

Most of all remember... GOLDEN EYE IS AN EYE TAT IS GOLDEN
    Donk

9. Remember when Quest64 wasn't going to be a giant disappointment and Paper Mario looked disappointing compared to Mario RPG?
    Donk

10. I actually like Mario RPG better than the N64 Paper Mario. I thought Paper Mario got a little tedious at the end, but Mario RPG was enjoyable start to finish. It might also have been that I was getting tired of RPGs when Paper Mario hit.

James