Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: Official Nintendo 64 Appreciation or Lack Thereof Thread

  1. #1

    Official Nintendo 64 Appreciation or Lack Thereof Thread

    Welcome to the Official Nintendo 64 Appreciation or Lack Thereof Thread. Since there is next to nothing on this system that is worthwhile and not available somewhere else, it is recommended that you click "Back" on your browser now.

    Since you've chosen to ignore the warning, here are the games that defined the Nintendo 64. The best game mentioned on that page is Star Fox 64:



    Thankfully, that's been made obsolete by the 3DS version, which also happens to be the best first party game on that system.

    If you're interested in going deeper, which is again not recommend, here are the "best" undiscovered Nintendo 64 games. The one most worth highlighting there is Ogre Battle 64:



    Since that is available for $10 on the Wii's Virtual Console, there's no reason to steal, borrow, or buy an N64 there either.

    However, this one game mentioned on neither of those lists that actually deserves a little praise, Beetle Adventure Racing:



    How do you know it's good? I'm recommending an EA game on Nintendo hardware starring hippie mobiles. Do you really need to know more?

    And now let's welcome the snake oil salesmen who will recommend things better left to annals of gaming's fog covered past.

  2. How is Blast Corps best left to gaming's foggy anus?

    James

  3. #3
    I disagree about Starfox 64. The upgrades to the 3ds version are substantial, but it doesn't control quite right compared to the original. The Wii VC doesn't feel quite right either, I think it has something to do with the odd sensitivity of the N64 analog stick since replacing it with a Gamecube style analog stick makes it feel like the VC game.

    I don't have many N64 games, but I have a growing appreciation for it in recent years and seeing reviews and vids of stuff that looks cool but I had totally ignored back in the day.

  4. #4


    Sin and Punishment is really fun, but the bar for entry is set really high. No domestic release initially (despite being mostly in Engrish), the story is nonsense, the controls are super-weird, and the objectives aren't super clear starting out. The tutorial... doesn't really help.

    But it's damn lovable when you get into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

  5. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I disagree about Starfox 64. The upgrades to the 3ds version are substantial, but it doesn't control quite right compared to the original. The Wii VC doesn't feel quite right either, I think it has something to do with the odd sensitivity of the N64 analog stick since replacing it with a Gamecube style analog stick makes it feel like the VC game.
    It's because the N64's joystick was not truly analog. It has something like 200+ possible positions it can detect, but it's not fully analog.

    That is why modern emulations don't feel the same when you are using a real analog controller.

  6. While the system was shit for traditional fighting games, it was the place to go for wrestling games. World Tour, Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000...

  7. #7
    Of the Love-or-Hate sub-genres, 3D wrasslin' games are right up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

  8. Castlevania 64 was more interesting than any other 3D Castlevanias on the PS2 or Xbox. I'm sure its unplayable now but back in the day, I was into it. I like the title screen music as well.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    While the system was shit for traditional fighting games, it was the place to go for wrestling games. World Tour, Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000...
    Virtual Pro Wrestling 2!

  10. Sin & Punishment is neat. F-Zero X is great. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are pretty solid when playing the campaigns, too. I know a lot of people loved the vs modes, but looking back I only got into them because I didn't have access to the better deathmatch first person shooters.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo