Thread: X Rebirth (PC)

X Rebirth (PC)

2. It's been looking great for a long time now, I'm just hoping it's easier to start than the rest of the series.

3. Just came out today. I won't be picking this up for a little while, but hot damn does everything look leaps and bounds over X3. It also looks like it makes a lot more sense right out of the box, with proper tutorials that function!

Hearing the PS3 finally called last gen warms the cockles of my heart.

I have no experience with this series, but as the narrator points out, Star Citizen is still a year away, so this looks like it could be a very nice stopgap.

5. As of right now the only real space game with more depth than the X series is EVE, and I prefer the direct control combat of X. If you want a space game to lose yourself in this is going to be the best choice.

6. Instead of buying this, I'm just going to walk around my hangar in Star Citizen for the 900th time.

7. well, the initial dog-fighting mod should be out in a month or two. So you will actually be flying in whatever ships are in your hanger.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. So this game has had a couple of major overhauls since release to where people seem to consider it more where it should've been at launch, and it was $13 last weekend so I finally snagged it. Playing around for a couple of hours has shown me this game is kind of amazing in some regards, but is held back a lot by its budget and small team considering what they're reaching for.

In a lot of ways it's like Mass Effect, except that instead of fighting and exploring as Shepard you're doing it in a spaceship. You can leave the ship to go exploring on space stations, there's a narrative with dialogue trees, people can be persuaded by picking certain options and then doing a simple line-up-the-bars QTE, there's hacking using the same minigame, crew members to recruit, etc. It's pretty impressive with everything they have going on.

Like to perform a hostile takeover of a ship you first need to acquire a military transport (I think), then hire a military officer and some marines to serve as a boarding party. If it's a ship that's friendly or neutral you can sneak on board and hack the ship to take down some defenses and then go back onto your ship to disable their engines, but if they're already hostile you have to blast through everything before you can cripple them. Then you send over your boarding party and get updates as they blast their way through the other ship and are hopefully successful, to which you're now the proud owner of other people's property.

But there's so much jank going on it's ridiculous. The voice acting is horrendous and it's everywhere, like one part where to convince someone I was on their side I ended up talking to them about stereotypes and it was so awkward and forced that it sounded like a training video for a retail store. It's seriously painful to listen to. The movement as a person is also really bare-bones and feels like a first attempt, there's no weight or anything so it's just sliding around all over the place. It's really nice that they have that sort of expanded environment, but it's pretty obvious where a larger team with a bigger budget could make this game into real a GOTY contender.

9. Forgot to mention: big bonus points for having 100% controller support without a bunch of UI compromises for m&kb users. Super nice being able to kick back and relax with a controller for this.