Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Edge Smashes Crowdfunding Records, Still Only 30% to Its Goal

1. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Frog is overstating the case a bit. The most powerful GPU in a mobile device today, or when it was written, was an iPad 4, and that's maybe equivalent to a GeForce 7800. Most phone GPUs are more in the 2004 era.
    They're not talking about putting this out last year, they're talking about putting it out next year.

Already most high-end phones today are more powerful than the iPhone 4's GPU. The HTC One, Galaxy S4, etc. And then the new Snapdragon 800-based phones like the Xperia Z Ultra and LG G2 blow that away by a good 60%. Tegra 4 is a beast too, but I think there's a reason you only find it in tablets.

By next year, these chips will be mid-range. They're easily as powerful as a desktop from 2006 or 2007.

Even the best looking games look like Dreamcast at higher resolution, we're a long way off from PS3 quality gaming on phone let alone PS4.

Tell me more...
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 16 Aug 2013 at 12:25 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Already most high-end phones today are more powerful than the iPhone 4's GPU. The HTC One, Galaxy S4, etc. And then the new Snapdragon 800-based phones like the Xperia Z Ultra and LG G2 blow that away by a good 60%. Tegra 4 is a beast too, but I think there's a reason you only find it in tablets.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review/13

Frog moved the goalposts on you. You and I said iPad 4, but he changed it to iPhone 4.

4. You forgot to scroll down to the tests where the phone is actually doing something relevant instead of just raw triangle fills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Frog moved the goalposts on you. You and I said iPad 4, but he changed it to iPhone 4.
    Oh, that was a brainfart, I was referring the the iPad 4, but I was referring to its actual ability to render 3D graphics.

5. I still can't understand people that want a ubuntu os on their phone, since shuttleworth seems to go out of his way to make desktop ubuntu ugly and unusable

e:

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    With Ubuntu, not really.
    someones never had a issue with xwindows or whatever software and have had to dive into the /etc config file wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Who are they trying to target with this?
    Lower income people who could use a dual purpose set up like that probably can't toss $700 out the window and the people who can probably don't want power comparable with a 6 year old PC.
    I've never fucked with linux, but I've always been under the impression that it demands a bit more...knowledge than windows or Apple OS. Confirm/Deny?
    if you could get windows programs to run on it, I would assume businesses. My work computer is just my new laptop with a docking station and monitor. If they could have skipped the laptop or my new phone, they would have.

You better believe modern business would love if they could make their employees work 12-14 hour days again.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 16 Aug 2013 at 05:58 PM.

7. It broke the record on 30 day crowd-sourced funding, not overall crowd-sourced funding.

Star Citizen is currently at roughly $15.6 million, hoping to meet a $21 million goal to be completely crowd-funded.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post

someones never had a issue with xwindows or whatever software and have had to dive into the /etc config file wonderland
    Oh no, I have.