Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Edge Smashes Crowdfunding Records, Still Only 30% to Its Goal

1. Ubuntu Edge Smashes Crowdfunding Records, Still Only 30% to Its Goal

So if you remember a while back, Ubuntu came up with an implementation that would allow Android phones to insntantly switch to become a Linux desktop computer when docked. It was neat tech, and you could even run Android apps from within the desktop interface, but there was no actual phone to go with it, and most phones at the time weren't really up to snuff to act as a desktop anyway.

Well apparently, they're still at it, but they can't sell any OEMs on the idea so they've decided to make their own phone, a very high-end device called the Edge. And their goal is a modest $32 million dollars.

The Ubuntu phone OS can go fuck itself, but they say that part will be completely optional and you can just boot stock Android for the phone side if you like.

Anandtech recently did a breakdown of current high-end phone hardware against PC hardware and found that, with a couple caveats like memory bandwidth, today's smartphones are roughly equivalent to a mid-range PC from 2007 now. Which makes this idea see more and more feasible. Obviously if you need to Photoshop or play games, it's not going to get it done, but for a lot of people I think it'll make sense.

2. Linux people are bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I love where this is headed. Extrapolate a bit and you can make a reasonable guess when mobile devices will catch and pass all current static technology, including the PS4 and Xbox One, and it's not very far away. The thought of PC-like gaming I can take anywhere without Windows being involved makes me giddy.

4. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Linux people are bizarre.
    So are Android people.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I love where this is headed. Extrapolate a bit and you can make a reasonable guess when mobile devices will catch and pass all current static technology, including the PS4 and Xbox One, and it's not very far away. The thought of PC-like gaming I can take anywhere without Windows being involved makes me giddy.
    Frog is overstating the case a bit. The most powerful GPU in a mobile device today, or when it was written, was an iPad 4, and that's maybe equivalent to a GeForce 7800. Most phone GPUs are more in the 2004 era.

Even the best looking games look like Dreamcast at higher resolution, we're a long way off from PS3 quality gaming on phone let alone PS4.

Nvidia talked up this new chip that is more powerful than the 8800 GT but Nvidia is a bunch of lying jerks. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 16 Aug 2013 at 12:12 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    So are Android people.
    THE FREEDOM TO DO ANYTHING*

(*kind of half-assedly)

I wasn't even going on what Frog said. The mobile trajectory really speaks for itself. Can a 360 really do much more than an iPad 4? How many more iterations will it realistically take to match a PS4? Three, four? Even if that's optimistic, it seems almost a lock that will occur prior to the end of the upcoming console cycle.

8. Who are they trying to target with this?
    Lower income people who could use a dual purpose set up like that probably can't toss $700 out the window and the people who can probably don't want power comparable with a 6 year old PC.
    I've never fucked with linux, but I've always been under the impression that it demands a bit more...knowledge than windows or Apple OS. Confirm/Deny?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Who are they trying to target with this?
    Other nerds.

I've never fucked with linux, but I've always been under the impression that it demands a bit more...knowledge than windows or Apple OS. Confirm/Deny?
    With Ubuntu, not really.

10. People who make their own programs love it. People who have to interact with other humans probably shouldn't mess with it.