Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow of the Beast (PS4)

Up to jump is the superior method for superior people.

If you want to play the original SotB for some reason, I'd say the DMA Design ported TGCD version is the most playable. It defangs the game and controls a lot better, though the graphics and the music are a major step back from the Amiga version.

I don't think Beast III is actually all that good, but it's definitely the least worst of the series.

Honestly, I can think of worse IPs to dredge up, though the lack of purple sky in the trailer makes me sad. I always liked the disconnect between the original's beautiful English countryside and the weird enemies you fought.

2. Some of the little details implied so much in that game. I loved the zepplin in the background that implied some modernity to the world for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by bVork
    If you want to play the original SotB for some reason, I'd say the DMA Design ported TGCD version is the most playable. It defangs the game and controls a lot better, though the graphics and the music are a major step back from the Amiga version.
    That's sort of how I felt about the Lynx version although I haven't compared any versions recently. The Lynx game had its charm; it felt more like its own game than a watered down port. And there was nothing quite like it on Game Boy and Game Gear since the SMS version (which is a bizarre one with lots of bright white and grey) wasn't ported.

4. I've never played the first game, outside of maybe five minutes on an emulator one time, but I owned three different versions of SotB2, and it really isn't a bad game. The game controls well enough and the aesthetics are above average. It's just very short and compensates by being unforgivingly difficult. Puzzles don't reset, and there are places you can get trapped.

The Amiga version is probably the best, but it's just way too difficult, and you need to press up to jump. This was the first version I owned, and the fact that I couldn't finish it is what led me to pick up the Genesis and Sega CD ports from their respective bargain bins and play through them.

On Genesis, it's much easier, and because of an apparent oversight converting from PAL to NTSC, it runs faster than was intended, which is actually a good thing imo.

The Sega CD port is a slightly downgraded version of the FM Towns Marty port. The music and graphics are all redone, and the main weapon works differently. The world and puzzles are laid out exactly like every other version, which makes it the easiest of all, because it has two extra item slots, making it more forgiving if you pick up something before you should, and allowing you you carry more health potions.

5. JVC's Japanese Megadrive version of SotB 1 is superior to the Genesis one in more than a few ways. Victor took WJS Design's version and gave it an overhaul. Graphics and sound are overall better, and somewhat like the Amiga one there's a "THUD!" when you punch/kick enemies instead of that weak "Whiff" noise from the EA game.

The SNES version really misses the style of the original. Hell if I know why they changed the BGM- and its graphics look a bit too cartoonish in comparison.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Some of the little details implied so much in that game. I loved the zepplin in the background that implied some modernity to the world for instance.
    The zepplin, along with the rocket thrusters, plasma gun, space ships, and jetpack.

This game was so batshit it always makes me smile. ANYTHING could pop out of the floor. There must have been 50 different sprites performing the same stabby function. The enemies went from rocks to bio terrors to missles to God damn skelletons. And the end guy was a foot.

7. That SNES port looks awful, had no idea the Mega Drive differed from Genny.

8. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Such a weird choice of franchises to bring back out of the blue like that. I thought the originals had some amazing visual design but mediocre gameplay (which would actually describe how I felt about most Psygnosis games prior to Wipeout and Colony Wars). Hopefully the long-awaited sequel to Philosoma is next.
    Philosoma would be so awesome

9. Victor also did SotB for FM Towns. Unfortunately that one isn't sounding too good. Superdeadite on Youtube has some pretty damning words to say about it, and he's someone I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdeadite
    This version especially has rather wonky hit boxes. Stuff you should be able to duck hits you regardless. And the controls are about as stiff as they come. The final boss you can't do a damn thing other then hope he dies first lol.
    Shame, since this one looks decent.

10. It's kinda jarring to be reminded how disparate the same game on different systems used to be considering the last two gens have been rather homogeneous.