Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 791011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack on Tutturu

1. I've been watching anime for 15 years and I only watch in English.

Fuck otakus trying to prove something by watching in a language they don't understand.

So you'd watch an English dub of Let The Right One In and feel like you didn't miss out on anything at all?

Maybe it's because I grew up in Peru where everything was dubbed over in the same exaggerated Spanish. Creators put a lot of time and thought into voice casting. It's important to them for a reason.

You can watch shitty dubs the rest of your life, I couldn't give less of a shit if I tried, but I'm far from an otaku or a weeaboo or anything like that. It has nothing to do with Japan at all.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Let the Right One In is not a cartoon. I would never watch live human actors have their voices dubbed over if I could possibly avoid it.

Having an English voice actor voice an anime character instead of a Japanese voice actor is a different story.

If you say so! Arbitrary rules are cool.
    My Backloggery

5. Agreed. And don't you get tired of the saaaaame B to C list voice actors not even trying to affect a different voice over the hundreds of roles they're given? I watched dubs when I was younger too and I got reeeeeeeal sick of David Lucas sounding exactly the same in every role really quick.

That's not to say that if you watch subs long enough you won't pick up on the same voice actors doing different roles. I won't even pretend that their voice acting is any better sometimes. But especially with Japan and their abstract wordplay jokes and intonations, translating even the INTENT of what was said is sometimes close to impossible, let alone the tone of how it's being said or the words being used. I think maybe the last decent dub I ever watched was the one for Yu Yu Hakusho, and lately the voice acting for Persona 4 Golden.

At the end of the day, do what you like. But dubbing is and always was a super awkward premise. Not even Disney gets it right 100% when doing Miyazaki's stuff.

6. It's jarring and awkward to have someone voice over a live performance. All cartoons have someone being a voice actor.

Like you said, voice actors are chosen with care and quality English dubs are no exception. The Ghibli English dubs particularly are incredible and most great animes get quality treatments since Bebop set a high bar. EDIT: Also I totally don't care how people watch their anime, we're all fucking dorks in the first place. If you don't understand Japanese you will experience anime differently, period. Some of us read and some of us hear English voice actors. It's all the same shit.
    Last edited by Opaque; 20 Jan 2014 at 06:29 PM.

7. It's certainly less awkward than live performance but the weirdness is still there. The mouths still move to the japanese rhythm or whatever.

I think most of the time I'd just rather read for myself than listen to english that's just as shitty and exaggerated as the japanese probably is.

8. I'm watching the dub of Ranma 1/2 and if you don't like it you can suck my dick.

That nostalgia talking.

I can understand a bit of Japanese after all these years of being a faggot. It'd be hard not to pick up on some words and phrases after playing so many games and watching so much anime over the years.
    My Backloggery

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I can understand a bit of Japanese after all these years of being a faggot. It'd be hard not to pick up on some words and phrases after playing so many games and watching so much anime over the years.
    This chick I dated in high school had college friends that could get fansubs on VHS TAPES WHAT THE FUCK, and I watched a lot of series that way. Shit was mindblowing in the 90's. I picked up a lot of conversational Japanese and have forgotten most of it.