Page 63 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4959616263646567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty No. 9

1. Yeah X4 is fantastic
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. This game really isn't terrible. The Internet needs to chill. I hear MegaMan.EXE has helped make that happen several times. Maybe he's still around?

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Yeah X4 is fantastic
    and it's BETTER
    Donk

4. I don't believe that for a second
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    X4 is a masterpiece you philistines. This is better than X5 by a mile though, but that isn't difficult.
    Agreed.

I've come to a realization playing this. There's nothing terrible about it, but it's deficient and charm, and utterly lacking in "wow" factor.

And I think that the reason for that is that, as it turns out, after having literally 30 official numbered games in the various mainline Mega Man series, having one more just isn't quite as exciting as we thought it would be.

That's not to say there was nothing they could do. For sure, there's still room to wow, and better story and unique characters could help make the world more compelling, but rather than an exciting revitalization, we just got another middle-of-the-road entry. We got, like, Mega Man 6. Mega Man 6 wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as 2, 3, or 4, and it wasn't exciting and fresh in the way X would turn out to be.

The lack of wow factor may be intentional. Maybe they really just wanted to make a prettier version of the nes games?

It would be safe to say they achieved that.

But no, it doesn't compete with the 2d levels of sonic generations. That was a pretty good ipdate. Lots of things going on. But that was always part of sonic. Those games always tried to do more than other platformers.

I really wonder about reviewers that are trashing it. Do they like nes megaman? Do they like cheap levels and bad guys? Do they like cute robot badnics? Have they played a platformers that isn't sonic or mario?

The game is fine. It's worth the asking price. It's a really pretty nes style game for better or worse. I think the problem with reviewers is they either never did like megaman or they were expecting a masterpiece now that he was away from capcom. It's not mario and it's not a masterpiece. It's just not Megaman 37162861537

Frog and IP, I think you've both nailed it. It's a perfectly fine $20 digital download. I'm just kind of annoyed I bought the $60 version with the useless Beck statue.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I really wonder about reviewers that are trashing it. Do they like nes megaman? Do they like cheap levels and bad guys? Do they like cute robot badnics? Have they played a platformers that isn't sonic or mario?

The game is fine. It's worth the asking price. It's a really pretty nes style game for better or worse. I think the problem with reviewers is they either never did like megaman or they were expecting a masterpiece now that he was away from capcom. It's not mario and it's not a masterpiece. It's just not Megaman 37162861537
    Some people who ARE hardcore megaman fans are trashing it too.

Here's Colin Moriarty, who is a huge Mega Man diehard and once very excited (start at 4:00):

But again I think it comes down to that it's neither excitingly new nor sufficiently nostalgic.

That's true. It reminds me just as much of the astroboy gba game as it does megaman. It isn't saturated in nostalgia. I don't have a problem with that as I came to megaman later in life.

Fans are justified and not justified really. I don't think he promised all that, but I can see why they hoped for it.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 22 Jun 2016 at 01:57 PM.

10. I must have missed out on Galileo Advance.