Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 35678 LastLast

Thread: Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    After the disastrous way this has been handled by Playdek, it's been put on hold. Matsuno needs to bail out and go work on the FFXII remake.
    It sounds like he actually bailed out years ago, and this is just a bunch of inexperienced hacks trying to cobble something together based on his scrawlings.

Anyway HOLY SHIT. Apparently Playdek has sold off the IP rights to this game and whatever work Matruno did (character designs and story I gather) to a small mobile game developer, who are -- wait for it -- developing it from scratch. Playdek has created nothing remotely usable, so they're just going to have to go from scratch. They are still hoping to fulfill KS rewards, but they can't honor refunds because they haven't gotten any of the KS money. All that money is gone. They spent it on ugly screenshots and false promises.

2. Don't. Back. Video. Games.

3. Hasn't Playdek shipped stuff before? I wasn't expecting something high quality but how the hell is anyone involved in this ever going to find work again.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Don't. Back. Video. Games.
    To be fair, this game was funded during the initial gold rush when anything that could call back anything was funded. That pitch wouldn't pass today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Don't. Back. Video. Games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Or anything else.

6. Board games on kickstarter can be pretty great actually, although they can also be pretty terrible. But I wouldn't back much aside from board games and the occasional books.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Sorry Diff, this was post-rush. It was an obvious scam from the get-go, too. Like, super-obvious. Or at the very least questionable enough that the fact it turned into nothing is zero surprise whatsoever.

I still back games on Kickstarter now and then, but very very few. Mages of Mystralia was an easy one, for example, and Exo One is something I'm more than happy to have given money to. Epitasis is also kind of tempting, and taking a quick peek there's no way I can resist tossing money at Jettomero, which I've been following for a while. Which is a total of one live Kickstarter backed at the moment in... months? But yeah, Kickstarter is all but dead for gaming.

8. No need to say sorry, look at my posts in this thread, I called out the scam from the beginning.

9. I never understood how people didn't see Unsung Story as unworkable. The entire pitch was a giant red flag.

Although to be fair to Playdek, after they lost all the money they sold the rights on so it's now someone else's responsibility to be the ones fleecing the backers.
    Last edited by James; 02 Aug 2017 at 09:59 PM.

10. I have to agree with James, there were a million red flags for this one. If you can't tell the difference, then yeah don't back games, but most people should be able to be a little more discerning.

Of course, I backed SpaceVenture, so I can't talk too much shit, but that might still come out someday, so...