Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contigency Fees

1. Contigency Fees

I put forth the notion that contigency fees for suits with large claims are akin to how Rent A Center does business and it's all about ripping off poor people.
    Agree/Disagree?

2. Rent-A-Center and the like are reputable establishments. Where else can you get a 500 dollar TV for 4 grand

3. Let's keep this thread honest. Rent a Center only marks items up 500%.
    They're doing the Lord's work.

4. I don't think I've ever even walked into a Rent-a-Center.

5. I have!
    Back when I was an exterminator, one of the accounts I handled was Rent a Center. Used to have to de-roachify all sorts of things.

I don't know that I'd put contingency fees in the same category as rent to own places. Yes, they are forcing poor people to pay more money for services rendered, but at the same time the majority of these attorneys' clients would never be able to otherwise afford an attorney if they lost and thus would never pursue a case that they should rightfully win. Also, a practice that does this likely has cases where they simply do not get paid, and thus the cases that win would have to cough up extra cash to offset the cases that were lost. I'm speaking theoretically, I have no idea what the real world cost difference is between regular attorney fees vs. fees for a contingency suit. If the attorneys were making more money on a case then the client than they can fuck themselves. I'd be interested to hear from TNL's legal team on the subject.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I have!
    Back when I was an exterminator, one of the accounts I handled was Rent a Center. Used to have to de-roachify all sorts of things.
    Sounds like the place to be.

8. Do you think lawyers make a habit of taking on contigent fee cases that they don't think they'll win?
    If you have a $500,000 case against some corporation, do you think a lawyer deserves a third of that? Say you lost a limb. Does a lawyer's time seem equitable to half of your pain/loss?

9. Also, have you ever looked at the fine print in class action suits? A few lawyers split up anywhere from 1/3-1/2 of the award, and then what's left gets split up amongst a million people.

Probably not, they likely will only take cases that are slam dunks. And 1/3 of the take seems batty to me, I'd tell the office to go fuck themselves.

But what do I know? I have a Phoenix Wright avatar, and nobody ever pays Phoenix.

*edit*
    Yeah, class action suits are bullshit. The settlement will be huge, the individual person gets like $15 and the lawyer gets 10 mil.