Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Contigency Fees

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Do you think lawyers make a habit of taking on contigent fee cases that they don't think they'll win?
    No.

Doesn't mean they will.

If you have a $500,000 case against some corporation, do you think a lawyer deserves a third of that? Say you lost a limb. Does a lawyer's time seem equitable to half of your pain/loss?
    Define "deserve."

Define "equitable."
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

how about the common meaning of those words?

3. Depends what you mean by "words."

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I heard a compelling counter-argument to this actually. While the math will never close, if you were going to piss away $5 at fucking Starbucks, you're better off buying lottery tickets. At least you might get something of value from them.
    I do get something of value from Starbucks - a drink I enjoy. That's not nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    So you would say something is better than nothing?
    Is being 3/5 of a person better than not being a person at all?
    It would be one thing if you could search out lawyers with better contigency fee percentages, but 30% seems to be across the board. It's like gas prices. What good is competition when everyone prices their shit within a few pennies of each other?
    I would say the main point of a class action lawsuit is to get the company to stop doing that crap it was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post

Define "deserve."

Define "equitable."
    I agree with this, but if every lawyer is charging the same percentage, obviously something fishy is going on.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I agree with this, but if every lawyer is charging the same percentage, obviously something fishy is going on.
    Maybe if there were some nation-wide lawyer's union dictating contingency fees. But there isn't. Consumers are free to negotiate contingency rates. Contingency percentages are tied to risk and level of time and expense. But if you feel you have a good case and don't want to pay 1/3, find someone who will give you a lesser percentage.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

lol, negotiate

if the mother fuckers could negotiate, they probably wouldn't need a lawyer. Not having any damn leverage on anyone is why they're doing a class action

"durp durp durp, you're free to do this thing that you can't actually do"