Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lesser-Known Beat-'em-Ups

Best Lesser-Known Beat-'em-Ups

Everyone likes Final Fight, Streets of Rage 2, and TMNT IV. I don't want to hear about the popular stuff. We've all played them. They're good, whatever.

I love, love, love this genre and want to play some new ones that I've never heard of before. I have a pretty high tolerance for the games so they can range from so bad it's good to ok to great and I'll still like them.

I'll start this off with a couple I've only recently learned about.

First up is a Konami arcade only title that released a year after X-Men did and pretty much re-uses all of its animation and adds a layer of kind of ugly furry art.

My second contribution is a mediocre game by one of my favorite devs, Westone! It's Riot City:

This one did get a home release for the TG CD but was renamed to Riot Zone and limited to just one player at a time =[ I'MMA BUY IT ANYWAY
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Never realized Westone had a hand in Riot Zone, may have to check it out since its one Turbo game that has not skyrocketed.

I have a soft spot for Wayforward's Thor on DS. The game is stupidly long and could use some adjustment to your move set but Thor is a blast to play as and they pulled off some epic boss battles. Well worth the 5-10 it goes for these days.

3. Although the series is well-known, I feel like the original arcade Ninja Gaiden is one of the more under-appreciated beat em ups. The jump and throw mechanics make it so different from anything else.

4. I really liked Spikeout on Xbox. That really needs a sequel or remake or something.

5. Does Violent Storm count? Here's an entire play through! Check out the SWEET MUSIC in the very first level.

6. ALSO! Bucky O' Hare. Same guys who made The Simpsons arcade.

Last edited by George; 03 Oct 2013 at 09:17 AM.

7. River City Ransom was pretty good. Look that one up if you haven't played it.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Do they have to be older? Everyone seemed to have skipped Batman the Brave and the Bold. It's a bit on the easy side, but the cheesey humor is funny, has good voice acting, and it's a lot of fun.

Also Batman Returns on the SNES. I haven't gone back to it in years, but I remember loving it back in the day.

Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. Brawl Brothers for the SNES sprung to mind.

10. Also try an NES game called Super Mario Bros. The Mario Bros are bassically a couple of bad ass dicks. You go around stomping a new asshole in all these ducks and turtles. When you're not doing that, you punch holes in brick walls. Taking mushrooms flips you the fuck out. These guys really have anger issues, but it's a fun time.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt