Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lesser-Known Beat-'em-Ups

1. Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    ALSO! Bucky O' Hare. Same guys who made The Simpsons arcade.

Different team than Simpsons, but notable for having several guys who would go on to Treasure (most obviously the enemy artist, who is the Guardian/Gunstar Heroes guy, and the music composer who did like 90% of Treasure's games)

3. Denjin Makai II might be the best game in the genre, not even a case of obscurity fetishism. Awesome satisfying movelists, awesome cast of enemies and bosses, branching stages, lots of little background touches that give it a lot of personality. This guy does massive combos the whole time so it might not be the best example video (you don't need to dig into the combo system that much at all, obviously), but whatever:

Last edited by Tain; 03 Oct 2013 at 09:59 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Different team than Simpsons, but notable for having several guys who would go on to Treasure (most obviously the enemy artist, who is the Guardian/Gunstar Heroes guy, and the music composer who did like 90% of Treasure's games)
    Really? They came out relatively close together, and the graphical style, sounds, and level design are incredibly similar. Well at least they're both still Konami.

5. Do you guys prefer beat em ups where your guys have a movelist (D & D , Guardian Heroes) or do you like the mash the attack button style (Final Fight, Streets of Rage)?

And, does anyone like Charlie Murder?

6. Omg, I'm so confused.
    On the one hand, I'm elated that that wasn't a Death B Degrees post, on the other, I was totally sure it was going to be.

Some good stuff on this list, Tain's game is at the top.
    http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-b...ed-beat-em-ups

7. Mzocraft

EDIT: Sorry I read the thread title as 'beat em offs'
    Last edited by dave is ok; 03 Oct 2013 at 11:29 AM.

8. It's more of a hack-'n-slash, but Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan on the Mega Drive is awesome. It's an unlicensed game from China.

9. Battle Circuit is a for-sure Capcom classic.

I don't think I've heard of Denjin Makai before but now I'm super intrigued.

10. Yeah, I'd start with Sengoku 3/Denjin Makai 2/Battle Circuit, if you haven't played them. I really like Ninja Warriors Again, myself. And I've always wanted to play the Bucky arcade game.

I know Double Dragon is far from lesser known, but you need to play Double Dragon Advance if you haven't.
    Last edited by alan_fatima; 03 Oct 2013 at 12:48 PM.