Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lesser-Known Beat-'em-Ups

1. There was this one beat-em-up that kind of tried to ape the feel of Ninja Turtles, it was about these 4 goofy looking puppet ninjas killing other ninjas. I forget what it was called. Satan was one of the bosses. I'd research it at work but I really don't want to put "Ninja Puppet Satan" into a google search here.

EDIT: It's The Ninja Kids

Last edited by George; 03 Oct 2013 at 12:47 PM.

2. Death by Degrees is pretty terrible but I REALLY like Tekken Force mode from Tekken 6. They should put a sequel to that on Steam or PSN.

I'm glad to see that Tain mentioned Guardians aka Denjin Makai II. If you can get past some extremely tasteless "humour" - like a boss named Fag The Ersatzman - it's awesome.

I don't think anything by Technos can be considered obscure, but The Combatribes is damn good. And you'll be saying "damn" a lot because it is ridiculously hard compared to most of their other offerings.

Streets of Fury on XBLIG is genuinely good. It's a multi-plane beat-em-up ala Guardian Heroes, but looks like the bastard offspring of Mortal Kombat.

There are a lot of really good suggestions here!

John, it doesn't have to be older stuff. Just overlooked or not so obvious games.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima View Post
    Yeah, I'd start with Sengoku 3/Denjin Makai 2/Battle Circuit, if you haven't played them. I really like Ninja Warriors Again, myself. And I've always wanted to play the Bucky arcade game.

I know Double Dragon is far from lesser known, but you need to play Double Dragon Advance if you haven't.
    I've had Double Dragon Advance since it released. Bought a couple for myself and Darmonde and played that game for like a week. It really is great.

I'll look into the three you mentioned!

As far as button mash or move list, I prefer something like the Punisher Capcom arcade game. You have a lot of tools and options at any given time without resorting to complicated move inputs.

Also, what's the best way to play this arcade only stuff? The only Arcade emu I ever got into was Final Burn like a thousand years ago. Are Bucky O'Hare and the others playable on like, MAME?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name
    Some good stuff on this list, Tain's game is at the top.
    http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-b...ed-beat-em-ups
    This covers a ton. I'm surprised they left out Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou for SFC. It's worth playing for the weirdness factor.

Also, Alien Storm is really underrated. You would think sci-fi Golden Axe would get more attention.

And if we're including games on the outskirts of the genre, i.e. single plane stuff in the vein of Kung Fu and Ninja Warriors, then Kaze Kiri for PC Engine CD is worth checking out.

I don't mind playing arcade only games on an emulator, but it's so much better when it's some obscure game for a system like the PC Engine or SMS. Mmm, feels so good to buy.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. AFAIK, every beat 'em up on this list should be on MAME. And that was the build of MAME I had years ago.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Also, what's the best way to play this arcade only stuff? The only Arcade emu I ever got into was Final Burn like a thousand years ago. Are Bucky O'Hare and the others playable on like, MAME?
    Yeah, MAME is the way to go for pretty much any 2D and many 3D arcade games. Denjin Makai II might still have slight visual issues in the stage selection screen (causing the game to be labeled as "having issues"), but otherwise runs great.

The more powerful 3D arcade hardware sometimes has dedicated emulators if you wanna play some of the newer stuff (Spikeout, Slashout, Dynamite Deka EX) but it's a little bit more of a hassle and they tend to have more visual issues.
    Last edited by Tain; 03 Oct 2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I don't mind playing arcade only games on an emulator, but it's so much better when it's some obscure game for a system like the PC Engine or SMS. Mmm, feels so good to buy.
    I think you might be aware of most of the PC Engine ones now. And beat 'em ups are the SMS's weakest genre, IMO. It does have a unique version of Renegade, though. I'm not really a fan of any version anymore.

There's also Dynamite Dux (arcade port). I wouldn't call it a good game. It's not something I would typically recommend but it has some cheesy charm to it.

Yeah, you're much better off searching the Saturn library for home beat 'em ups.

lol, I just meant examples of obscure consoles in the US; I'm not limiting it to those. The Saturn still counts! I love buying Saturn games.