Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What websites do you "read"?

1. What websites do you "read"?

Not sure if this is really the best subforum for this, but move it if you think it's better elsewhere.

I was thinking about magazines and how the fact that they arrived periodically (monthly, for instance) as this physical package that would make my day. I would read magazines cover and cover, refer to them endlessly, share them with others and quote them aloud. I can tell you exactly where I was in my life for many, many Nintendo Power and Next Generation issues based on their covers alone. For instance, I could tell you that I was reading the NextGen issue with Ready 2 Rumble (2?) on the cover at a family reuinion after I had a Dreamcast, and it was a dry, draught-y summer.

Anyway, for better or worse, the internet has made the medium of absorbing written content so much more instantaneous. It's a lot different. I can't really think of specific places I was when I read an article, necessarily, nor can I be sure that my bookmarks from 2004 still work at all. The most important Erowid stories have probably been saved as TXT files on my hard drive somewhere.

ANYWAY, this is all just a stream of consciousness introduction to the question of: What websites do you read? Where do you go first when you read for pleasure, or news, or reviews? Who are your favorite writers and critics and bloggers? Please add a little detail of why you like this writing. I'll start with a few:

The Onion AV Club:
    This is one that I have really only discovered in the past year, perhaps, but it is so thoughtful and comprehensive that I find myself more and more addicted to it. It has been my go-to episode review for series like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when I want a recap with a little more, whether its musings on a theme, human emotions, or trivia. Usually, I'll finish an article and feel that I got a refreshing new perspective, one that I hadn't considered necessarily, and one that spurs discussion with my own friends. The danger in this is perhaps I will cloud my own interpretations, only remembering what I read. But it's damn good stuff!

Arrow in the Head (Horror Reviews):
    I've been going to this guy's website for many, many years. I've been thinking about it a lot as it is the season for horror films and I've been watching A LOT! Although The Arrow's writing is a probably something a grammar nazi would abhor, I really admire his passion - and tenacity. He's reviewed over 1500 horror films. Chances are, if you've heard of it, he's seen it. Although I do also enjoy reading these after seeing a film, for me, the Arrow is great for recommending films that I never even heard of, or movies that were just released that I'm not sure about. He's a horror authority for me, even if I don't agree with him 100% of the time. Still... fun reads.
    http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/reviews/

I'll think of some more later... Go!

2. Grantland, Kotaku, ProfootballTalk, Blabbermouth.net and a whole bunch of metal blogs. Thats me interest zone. Then after that I netflix. that's what we've come to these days. Netflix. Time for more Fraiser!
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

3. ScreenRant, Kotaku, Joystiq, ProfootballTalk, Bleacher Report, /Film, Food Republic, Cooking District, and Philly.com.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. No more latin review?

5. The Next Level
    Drudge Report
    Kotaku
    Joystiq
    Hot Air
    CNN
    NBC News
    MMQB
    The Virginian-Pilot
    The Onion

And my Twitter feed usually springboards me to other topical stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

6. On a regular basis, I check arstechnica, osnews, amiganews.de, shoryuken.com, and TNL.

For news, i just use google news and try to get as broad a sampling as possible on any story that grabs my attention.

7. You all need to read Sega-16 more.

I read the local Spanish news sites, but for game stuff I go to Eurogamer, Edge, Joystiq, Gamasutra, and Game Politics. I get regular news from NBC News, CNN, Time, and the BBC.

8. Twitter, TNL, my band's private FB page, and wherever those lead.

I'll usually follow a blog for a few months here and there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

TNL, Twitter, Vice, Al Jazeera, Young Turks, 4chan. Mostly.

If any of those bring up a topic that interests me I'll scour the web for more info.

10. That's pretty much it. Free-range browsing, aimed at whatever I feel like reading about that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!