Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Screws Over YouTube Users

1. Google Screws Over YouTube Users

This past week, Google decided it was a good idea to not allow comments to your Youtube channel, to post in your in-box. Instead, they've decided that comments will be linked to your Google+ account. It sounds like a decent idea, but I've yet to see it work properly.

One of my subscribers (I've subscribed to his channel as well) vents his frustations in this video.

2. They are doing everything they can to get people on Google+. It's just embarrassing at this point.

Comments are gone? And nothing of value was lost

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    They are doing everything they can to get people on Google+. It's just embarrassing at this point.
    Seriously, holy shit. It's so sad.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Comments are gone? And nothing of value was lost
    It totally destroys the Youtube community and the user's interaction between eachother. Someone could comment on a video I've uploaded, and I'd have no clue that they had posted a comment. I could comment on someone else's video, or remarks, and I'd have no link to their response. I see none of that interaction within my Google+ account.

The community reaction has been an 85% thumbs-down.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/you...down-50012693/

Quote Originally Posted by CNET
    Google has shaken up YouTube's commenting system in an effort, it says, to improve the quality of conversations -- but its users aren't impressed.

Among the changes are the ability to make your comments private, reply in threads, share comments to Google+, edit your comments and get notifications.

Comments can now be much longer -- which one user tested by posting the entire script of the 177-minute movie Braveheart -- and can include URLs, which seems like an open invitation to spammers.

This video explaining some of the changes, which focuses heavily on its integration with Google+, is already deeply unpopular, with 85 per cent of voters giving it a thumbs down at time of publication.

Reading the comments, many focus on how the increased size of comments and ability to include special characters will increase the potency of trolls. Unicode phalluses and depictions of Hitler are among the top-voted comments.

When you go to leave a comment, even if you've chosen before that you want to keep your YouTube and Google+ accounts separate, it asks you again, and prompts you to agree to new 'Pages terms', whatever they are. What's my channel? Is that the same as my account? Why does it want to link it to a work-related account?
    Last edited by gamevet; 11 Nov 2013 at 12:46 AM.

I just know I'm tired of it asking me I want to change my YouTube name to my real name

I have, I think, six Google plus accounts because YouTube keeps making them for me.

Whatever.

8. This stuff has fucked youtube for me. It keeps asking me to link my g+ account even though i have, and i keep getting in age verification loops. How hard is it to have a fucking video site work properly?

9. Google screwed them over long before this, they've been spreading their cheeks for eager-beaver IP lawyers for years now

10. The only real problem that I have with this is the required linking to a Google+ account that I don't want. But I don't really have any skin in the video game so the stuff gamevet is talking may very well be annoying.