Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL: TNG

1. Smile TNL: TNG

It's clear some of us have defied the gods and produced offspring. Our kids are blessed/burdened by our vast reservoirs of game knowledge which raises the point. Is there any particular video games you look forward to or enjoy playing with the kids?

The little guys haven't gotten into games much yet but a few I'd like to show them:

Wonder boy 3/Dragon's Curse- would like to expose the kids to more than Sonic and Mario. I've always loved the openness of WB plus the fact they crammed in every setting imaginable from pirate ships, pyramids, ninja dojos.

Bomberman- Duh. Saturn space station level FTW.

Mars Matrix- "Seriously son, it's not as hard as it looks".

Pac Man CE- great example of a classic reinvented with tweaks and bells/whistles that should hold short attention spans.

Shadow of the colossus- again enjoy the openness of it plus the controls never felt cumbersome or unnatural. Also like that the storyline is more than the usual good vs evil or moral void material.

Your choices?

2. RapeLay - I feel that the moral decision making will go a long way in assisting their personal development.

3. Lily is still young, but ADORES Pac-Man and Kirby. Anything to do with them, she's about it. She has various Mario plush dolls, and used the gamepad to make blocks for me while playing NSMBU. Part of my getting back into 8-Bit games was because a lot of them were things she could see, not mature etc.

I don't have a list, but I know that I'll be passing on the knowledge to her.

I don't have a list either, but my daughter is big into Sonic and Kirby and has also caught the Skylanders bug. She beat Sonic Generations by herself at five and can beat some of the Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed events on Expert. I had a 2600 at five, and my brother taught himself how to read playing Final Fantasy at four, so there are some genetic advantages she may have. I'm not looking forward to the day her motor skills and reflexes improve and mine degrade to the point she can whip my ass, though I fear it's not all that far away. She's actually ahead of me in Super Mario 3D World right now, though it's worth noting that she'll move on with getting everything, and my OCD won't allow that.

edit: I also won't let her put games on easy. Bad habits are tough to break.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 24 Jan 2014 at 10:19 AM.

5. My daughter doesn't play games. She is very familiar with zombies because I played a lot of zombie games.

It's funny you mention that. My daughter wrote a story about zombies the other day, and I caught shit from my wife for it.

7. Daycare pulled me aside and mentioned the tod had been saying "on slut" all day. Took me a sec, then I told her he had watched dad playing a fighting game the night before and the last guy was called Onslaught. Whoops.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It's funny you mention that. My daughter wrote a story about zombies the other day, and I caught shit from my wife for it.
    If you don't prepare the young for zombie apocalypse, what are you really doing as a parent?

Baby girl playing Bonk

10. Yeah, well Finch drew Lily.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390585406.736296.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	73144