Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apocalypse/Survival Weirdos

1. Apocalypse/Survival Weirdos

Click for full size

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Unrelated. I just bought a weeks worth of Soylent. Has anyone else been paying attention to this?

Bunker time?

. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quick-fix-movies-to-watch-apocalypto.png 
Views:	600 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	73210  
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 29 Jan 2014 at 11:49 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

doc, try just a bit harder

bunker shit is so stupid. It hinges on people having zero depth or breath of understanding of how our society works. Of how all the little bits connect and depend on each other.

It is unlikely that we could build anything that would support life long enough for the planet to recover a humanity destroying cataclysm. Something would break and eventually you'd be shitting in a corner or drinking your piss or living in the dark.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    doc, try just a bit harder
    You weren't excited by the prospect of a city sized bunker in Kansas??

I quickly realized it was bullshit when some company planning a billion dollar underground resort can't even make a website that doesn't look like a geocities template.

EDIT: Oh. Okay, yeah.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. micro-houses

We've talked about these right? I would like to get one.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 30 Jan 2014 at 12:45 AM.

none of it will work in the long run.

everything eventually breaks. How do you fix it when society collapses? Where is the industry that was used to build it?

Are you going to do it? Are you going to learn all of the skills necessary to build new parts and install them? What happens when you run out of raw materials? You going to put a shower head on a lathe and build a new $500,000 part for your water purification system? Will your kids be able to? Will their kids?

Our government MIGHT be able to build something. But it would require a small town of people to operate. It would be like a space station underground, where instead of billionaires, you'd have everyone be highly skilled.

Even then, I don't know. Because you still have limits on raw materials, tool life, access to the things you need to fix, etc.

Its just very unlikely. Our society is shaped by our size and what our planet offers. If you change either of those variables, the whole thing goes to pot.

Its the same problem with those people who make these big long plans for surviving <whatever> apocalypse. You could do everything right and still die, because you'll run out of materials for your shelter, materials for your weapons, materials for your transportation, materials to support farming and materials for medicine.

7. My husband's father is a survivalist sorta? He has a lot of guns, talks a lot about when the government/economy will collapse, tries to get us to buy gold and silver, etc. He was more serious about it a few years ago, I think it was a surprise to a lot of these people that after the economy crashed, it actually started to recover again. And they were left without a doomsday hobby!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

There's always a doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    My husband's father is a survivalist sorta? He has a lot of guns, talks a lot about when the government/economy will collapse, tries to get us to buy gold and silver, etc. He was more serious about it a few years ago, I think it was a surprise to a lot of these people that after the economy crashed, it actually started to recover again. And they were left without a doomsday hobby!
    Our government collapsing isn't a true doomsday. That would just be really inconvenient. Nationalism drives that kind of thinking.

10. One of my friends has jumped on the peak oil, end of industrialization, permaculture, everyone back to growing their own food mindset.