Thread: Cytus + Deemo for iOS and Android

1. Cytus + Deemo for iOS and Android

I'm a big fan of rhythm games, and ever since smartphones became a thing I had been hoping for a touch-based rhythm game that could take what Ouendan did even further. There were a few like Tap Tap and even ports of DDR to mobile platforms, but Cytus and Deemo from Rayark have given me exactly what I'd been anticipating for so long.

I know I'm pretty late to the party for Cytus, but apparently they just had a major update that unlocked chapter 7. If you buy Cytus for 2 bucks on iOS I believe it's 70 songs with 2 difficulties, and then hidden songs as well. Chapters 8-10 are behind a paywall apparently until 100k more people buy the core game.

Cytus is like a modified, hyped up version of Ouendan.

Rayark is a Korean company (As far as I know) so the game really, really reminds me of how Pump it Up used to be presented. It's mostly synth rock, techno orchestra and the like.

Their newest game though is Deemo, a Beatmania-like which focuses on piano melody. The way you unlock songs is completing the available track list on various difficulties to make a tree grow taller. The taller it grows the more the story is fleshed out. It's about a little girl who finds herself lost in a mysterious world occupied only by a tall shadowy creature and his piano. The more you play, the more you unlock, and the more you unlock the taller the tree can grow. At certain growth increments you get a story segment and a bunch of new songs. The art is adorable.

Deemo also recently had a large update, increasing the full original roster to 25 songs. You can purchase 3 songs packs of 5 songs each to cap it out at 40 songs.

Has anyone else played either of these? I think Android users can get the core games for free but you have to endure ads between songs.

2. I've played Cytus I think since it came out, and it's pretty decent. There's a lot of people who buy those so I've ended up getting every one of those song packs for free, which is honestly a pretty fantastic way to run things. They offer DLC and once enough people buy it it's free for everyone and then they move on to the next batch. Way better than the stingy-as-fuck DJ Max RAY. It's also on Vita but I think the song selection is much lower since they don't do the same DLC offerings, and I also find it more uncomfortable because they just scaled it to the larger screen, so my fingers have to reach over farther and I also end up obscuring some of the bubbles.

Groove Coaster Zero is another one that I like but is very much style over substance. It has hidden notes to boost your score and some stuff to unlock, so I like it as a bathroom game.

3. I played about 5 songs of Deemo right when I got it on a sale. Haven't gone back. Like the music, though the vocals on some of those tracks feel...bad...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

4. Yeah the vocals are all broken english by korean singers. Of all 40 tracks there might be like 4 with lyrics though. I'm trying to full combo Magnolia right now and the slides are killing me. I gave up on Endless.