Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 791011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

1. Jesus christ that shootout was laughable. I had maintained some cautious optimism up to that point but I'm pretty sure it's gone now.

2. Yup, that shootout was the nail in the coffin for me, I officially hate it. I'll keep watching just to see how it ends, but if this didn't have True Detective in the title, theres no way I'd watch it.

3. The shootout was terrible, but I'm still liking the rest of it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Same. I haven't watched the first season yet. Waiting to see if it crashes and burns before commiting.
    Not that kind of show. Each season is a stand-alone story, with no connection whatsoever beyond just theme and tone.

5. whhhhaaaaaat? I really enjoyed the shootout. It had that ridiculously smooth fantasy element that the first season's shootout did (i think in ep 8 or so?) I thought it was kind of an homage to that. I mean, I feel like TD doesn't exactly exist in this 100% Real World reality. It's sort of a space between, like how it exists between cities and towns. I know I have a really active imagination when it comes to shows I like, but I thought the shootout was a great touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    whhhhaaaaaat? I really enjoyed the shootout. It had that ridiculously smooth fantasy element that the first season's shootout did (i think in ep 8 or so?) I thought it was kind of an homage to that. I mean, I feel like TD doesn't exactly exist in this 100% Real World reality. It's sort of a space between, like how it exists between cities and towns. I know I have a really active imagination when it comes to shows I like, but I thought the shootout was a great touch.
    It was some Michael Bay level shit, not even remotely grounded in reality. Double wielding Uzis, never ending bullets, chasing and keeping up with an SUV on foot, giant explosions and a busload of victims. That would be some international level news, straight up terrorism with dead cops and civilians out the whazoo. The "shootout" in season 1 was much more intense, because it wasn't real. It was a lie to cover up for Marty murdering the meth cook, and Rust narrating the whole thing to internal affairs just made it that much more intense.

Like something real cops would do. In the real world.

I also REALLY hate Frank's wife, absolutely worst actor on the show. It's a damn chore watching any scene with her in it.
    Last edited by Jed; 13 Jul 2015 at 04:18 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    whhhhaaaaaat? I really enjoyed the shootout. It had that ridiculously smooth fantasy element that the first season's shootout did (i think in ep 8 or so?) I thought it was kind of an homage to that. I mean, I feel like TD doesn't exactly exist in this 100% Real World reality. It's sort of a space between, like how it exists between cities and towns. I know I have a really active imagination when it comes to shows I like, but I thought the shootout was a great touch.
    I think that was episode 4 or 5. There were only 8 episodes total. The projects shootout takes place in one episode, then the "shootout" Jed is talking about takes place in the episode after that. I don't know which shootout scene you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    It was some Michael Bay level shit, not even remotely grounded in reality. Double wielding Uzis, never ending bullets, chasing and keeping up with an SUV on foot, giant explosions and a busload of victims. That would be some international level news, straight up terrorism with dead cops and civilians out the whazoo.
    I think most of it is possible in today's world, especially if it took place in Mexico. There is a cartel presence in los angeles, and I think there has been some expectation of spillover violence like this. It's a little over the top. Chasing that car on foot got to me a bit. Uzis!!! Those might have been glock 18s or something... doesn't matter. Cartel has access to and uses way more ridiculous weapons all the time.

We don't know what the fallout and news coverage will be... it ended with them standing in the street with backup just arriving. What's the complaint there?
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. I think what you get is in real life you don't dual wield uzis, for one you wouldn't hit shit and for two you'd run out of bullets in a second.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    It was some Michael Bay level shit, not even remotely grounded in reality. Double wielding Uzis, never ending bullets, chasing and keeping up with an SUV on foot, giant explosions and a busload of victims. That would be some international level news, straight up terrorism with dead cops and civilians out the whazoo. The "shootout" in season 1 was much more intense, because it wasn't real. It was a lie to cover up for Marty murdering the meth cook, and Rust narrating the whole thing to internal affairs just made it that much more intense.
    That shit happens every day in Mexico and nobody gives a shit. Throw in some beheadings for good measure. It's not farfetched for it to hop across the border.

10. god dammit.. those aren't uzis.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.