Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

1. Jacob McCandless head of Catalyst.
    Osip Agranov the Russian Gangster.
    Tony Chessani, the Mayor of Vinci's "son"... who would recognize her.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. So, the Chessani kids are totally the two kids from the jewelry store robbery right?

3. That's what I was assuming.

4. I really hope Remo Williams doesn't come into play with that whole thing. Didn't he mention something about how everything changed after the riots?

5. HBO president urges everyone to stay with TD through the finale.

“I think you need to watch the entirety of it,” said Lombardo. “I think the season’s ending is as satisfying as any series we’ve done.”
    Um...As satisfying as Sopranos, Deadwood, Carnivale, and John from Cincinnati? If so, fuck.

6. I'm happy that the HBO president is standing by his programming. I'm really tired of networks dumping stuff halfway because of a lull in ratings (hannibal, *cough*) yeah, people drop off and pick up again, that's how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. They really need to ditch Nielson.

8. Pretty sure ratings aren't the issue. People just don't like it that much.

and come on, no one watched Hannibal in the first place. Three seasons were a gift.

9. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    and come on, no one watched Hannibal in the first place. Three seasons were a gift.
    I know, and I will never stop complaining about it. I mean, come on - they replaced their thursday lineup with DATELINE. are you telling me more people make it a point to watch Dateline than Hannibal? What about the benefit of active TV consumption versus passive TV consumption. (i.e., how likely are Hannibal watchers to add the NBCHannibal twitter feed, Facebook, tumblr, etc. versus a passive Dateline watcher who just flips it on in the background and doesn't make a point to interact with the media around it?)

My issue is this - first of all, the ratings mean zip. zilch, nada. People DVR, and then binge watch when the show is a few episodes ahead - the readings of who actually watch the show is so varied and ridiculous that i don't even know why they keep the original system. I know that there are some factoring in of DVR, but it's not universal, and its dependent on service, etc.

Second, clickbait articles from out-of-touch reviewers are absolutely killing "real time" shows. I saw this happen with HBO's "The Newsroom." A fantastically brilliant show that got squashed in buzzfeed and Jezebel "articles," until it was revealed that many of the reviewers didn't happen to watch past the first 2 episodes and were giving run downs of the entire second season based on pilot episode observations. This is basically what's happening with True Detective. Most of TD's first season buzz came AFTER the entire first season aired, when binge watchers could see it in full, without waiting. We're getting "final analysis" from people who tuned in the first episode of TD and didn't see Harrelson and McConaughey cameos and thus wrote off the entire season. tl,dr, hyper aggressive nerds, as usual, are ruining media.

Seeing the HBO dude defend his decisions is really refreshing. It gives me hope that perhaps he learned from the Newsroom snafu of canceling when the show was just getting legs. I absolutely hope they pursue a third season of TD, regardless of if this season ends with a bang or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

10. I dont see why they wouldnt do a 3rd season, especially since it's all self contained. It's not the format or title that people are bitching about, it's the story. I've liked this season all along even though I wasn't initially thrilled with the cast. But if people are bitching, dont cancel the series, fix whatever people are crying about next season. Add in more supernatural shit that goes nowhere.