Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Persona 5 OFFICIAL THREAD (PS3, PS4)

1. Persona 4 was a pretty generic game bolstered by probably the best art design I've ever seen. And the characters were very likeable.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Except for the two Persona 2 games, all the Persona titles are self-contained.

I can't believe Persona 4 came out almost 9 years ago. Holy shit.
    Persona 2 took place 3 years after the first game and even had several returning playable characters between the two versions. Philemon was big in the first 2 (3) games as well.

): Which is why I'm sad they never reference the 1 and 2 characters much outside of some mentions in P3, not even in the fan service games like PQ and Fighting Game Thing

3. You don't need previous Persona experience to really get into this. Like 3 & 4, the story feels largely self-contained and its methods for introducing its lore, dungeons, etc. are all different in appearances, but functionally the same.

I got through the first major dungeon/arc. A bit of a heads up (and not too spoilery?) - major dungeons will go away forever once you've finished them. Since everything's on a time limit, you might want to juggle the amount of Persona collecting, treasure hunting, and progression to get the most out your deadline.

Also, your deadline should be considered the date the game gives, minus 2 days? Once you have the location of a Treasure, you have to leave, so you can call out the Palace owner in real life and make the Treasure tangible. This means leaving the day you find it, a day to deliver the calling card, and then you can go in for the win - and at that point you have to. You only get one day after calling someone out to steal their Treasure.

I thought this would mean that leveling/grinding would be severely limited, but nope - they also introduce a general, randomized dungeon you can visit as you wait between plot-specific locations.

So far I'm finding really engrossing in a way P3/4 were doing, without as much...pressure? 5 definitely stacks time against you even more, by giving more timetables, more things to do with time, more restrictions on how you can progress (I've been hitting Charm/Guts checks for hanging out with certain characters already).
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

4. So is it less pressure or more time restrictive?
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    So is it less pressure or more time restrictive?
    I guess...same time restrictions, more pressure.

You still have about a month per main story event (so far) to get things done, there's just a lot more stuff on your plate to do outside of it. Putting personal stat (charm/guts/knowledge) checks against doing certain things, having a part time job at day & night, Confidants (aka Social Links), being able to rent movies & buy books (which can bump your personal stats but take time too), the randomly generated dungeon Mementos, working at home, being able to craft healing/thieving items (but only one type, and it burns your night to do it), having access to only certain parts of the city at certain times of day (until you're given a later curfew, and then outright freedom)...

It feels like a lot more to take in than P3/4 had, but doesn't appear to give you a lot more time to make room for all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. The time restrictions are what I hated most and burned me out about P3 (and why I skipped P4). Everything else about this looks good, but it definitely sounds like waiting for a sale material.

7. I didn't "get" P3 so I never stayed with it. It took me a few false starts with P4 before it finally grabbed me, but when it did...it turned into a really fun game. That first handful of hours are the worst though. I then went back and tried P3 again. I remember I put a bunch of time into it, but I just got annoyed by all the stuff 4 did better, so I stopped again.

8. The trick is to play Persona 3 on PSP.

I wish P4G had the cursor.

9. I'm glad they brought back demon...I mean, shadow negotiation. Makes fights a lot more interesting. Combat is a lot more SMT-esque.

I don't know how to increase my "Bold" status. Some conversation options are not open to me (like telling Igor to fuck off) unless my Bold status is high enough. Is there a page I can access that tracks these statuses?
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    The time restrictions are what I hated most and burned me out about P3 (and why I skipped P4). Everything else about this looks good, but it definitely sounds like waiting for a sale material.
    Honestly, I blew through the dungeons in this game. I don't think any of them took me more than three days' time to get to the boss, and none of the bosses were overly difficult. I felt far more "pressure" from the side things I wanted to get done, and my teammates not shutting up about "we have to hurry", than I ever did from having to complete the main missions on time.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    I don't know how to increase my "Bold" status. Some conversation options are not open to me (like telling Igor to fuck off) unless my Bold status is high enough. Is there a page I can access that tracks these statuses?
    Doing the social link with the doctor is a good way to boost your Guts, because it goes up every time you hang out with her. Also, do the burger challenge at the fast food place. Always check to see what movies are playing, as that helps. Make sure you've gone to the bookstore in Shibuya and bought books, as they'll help you get your stats up and you don't want to waste times like when you're sitting down on the train. There's also the DVD rental shop, so if you've bought the DVD player from the recycle shop near the cafe, you can rent something that boosts Guts. You'll also then have options like the social link with the gun shop owner, or playing games on the retro console you can buy later.

Unless you meant something else by "Bold".
    Last edited by mollipen; 07 Apr 2017 at 12:07 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.