Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Top-down Gauntlet Game

1. New Top-down Gauntlet Game

Finally, the series has stopped trying to be God of War:

Gauntlet Legends and Gauntlet Dark Legacy are two of my favorite games. I hope this turns out well.

2. It won't

No home version of gauntlet can really approximate the original gauntlet race against time. Still, I did enjoy Dark Legacy and Legends as well, but this looks kinda shit.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. I hope they use more background colors than brown, black and grey in the final game.

Legends and Dark Legacy were very colorful games.

The footage doesn't really remind me of Gauntlet. The series has always been about space management: everything more or less takes up the same amount of physical space and, combined with the constrained corridors, the game turns into an effort to clear your way to the monster generators or exits in the most efficient manner. The levels in the trailer (aside from being dark and brown and boring) appear to be really wide open, meaning that the primary facet of Gauntlet's gameplay is no longer present. The game may turn out well, but it looks like it'll only be Gauntlet in name.

6. The trailer looks okay. Hammerwatch did a decent job of filling the Gauntlet space but I wouldn't mind checking this out too.

What the fuck is Hammerwatch?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. Fairly similar to this; a more open-area kind of Gauntlet. No timer and there's a good amount of back-and-forth between levels for switch-hitting and secrets and such.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    [video=youtube;n9aGEzxogqY]
    Fairly similar to this; a more open-area kind of Gauntlet. No timer and there's a good amount of back-and-forth between levels for switch-hitting and secrets and such.
    Got Hammerwatch but haven't played it yet pls don't judge me
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

10. Eh, it's not amazing but is still a fun little dungeon crawler with tons of enemies. Well worth the $1.75 or whatever I paid on sale.