Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unreal Engine 4

1. Unreal Engine 4

Surprise! Released today, you can subscribe for $19 a month to get full source code access (which seems nuts) as well as binaries for the editor and all that good stuff. If you sell what you make, Epic gets 5% royalties, straight-up. No console distribution at that price, but you do get PC, Mac, Android, and iOS.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, imo. I'll probably drop $20 just to mess with this stuff, but combined with today's Rift DK2 announcement I can't help but want to make something.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/we...nreal-engine-4

2. wow, that's pretty crazy.

3. Wow, 5% royalty seems insanely low. Wasn't Unreal 3 like 50%?

4. I think it was a quarter but they used to have flat rates (not sure if they had flat rates for 3). They are getting really agressive with this.

5. I think Unity might have been a wake up call for them.

6. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    I think Unity might have been a wake up call for them.
    It was for Charlie Murphy.

7. Crytek announced they're taking Cryengine into the same pay model at 9.90 a month, no word on if this gives you source code or not. It's your move now Unity.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. so I love this shit so far. Blueprints are so much better than Kismet. You can use them to make individual classes and you get a visual layout to position components and expose component properties and shit, it's really nice. It's even preferable to what I've done in UnrealScript for certain kinds of classes. Those classes can be accessed via C++, too, and apparently it's easy to do the other way around (as expected). Integration with Visual Studio is pretty smooth on the coding side. I haven't dug too far into that, but it's hard to be clunkier than the out-of-box UE3 method imo. Building lighting takes place in the background now, so you can fiddle with other stuff while waiting.
    Last edited by Tain; 23 Mar 2014 at 04:59 PM.

9. What's crazy to me is that the Splinter Cell games last gen all ran on Unreal Engine 2(!).

Ubi really squeezed the juice out of that one.

10. Running on an i5 3570k and ASUS Strix 970. Quite beautiful.