Page 1 of 12 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Creed: Unity (PC, PS4, One)

Assassin's Creed: Unity (PC, PS4, One)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    Ubisoft has confirmed the recently-leaked Assassin's Creed: Unity with a short teaser of stunning in-game footage.

As expected Unity will be released during "holiday 2014", just for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It's been in development for "more than three years", Ubisoft said.

The trailer confirms the game's Parisian setting during the French revolution, and the black-cloaked Assassin spotted in leaked screenshots earlier this week.

In a statement today announcing the game and the new footage, Ubisoft commented that been forced to confirm the game's existence a little earlier than planned due to "Abstergo".

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche [Let them eat cake]!" Ubisoft exclaimed.

"We have been working on the new Assassin's Creed for more than three years and although we weren't quite ready to show you our full vision for a next-gen only AC, it seems Abstergo are trying to force our hand! So here's a true first look at in-game footage from Assassin's Creed Unity. Stay tuned - we'll have many more exciting details for you in the months ahead!"
    Link

This is where the series ends for me, I think. At least Italy had DaVinci. I could not possibly be less interested in playing in Paris. In a funny way, that actually makes me want to play III sooner, because now I don't feel like I'm running on a treadmill anymore.

2. Paris is an amazing setting, and the French Revolution is absolutely ideal for this series. I cannot wait to see what Ubi does with it.

I am the complete opposite of Yoshi in this regard.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Assassin's Creed: Unity (PC, PS4, One)

Yea, Paris is a great setting. Pre-Haussmann too.

The French Revolution is a better setting for the Templar/assassin war than the American one.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Yea, Paris is a great setting. Pre-Haussmann too.
    Exactly! That means lots of cramped streets, secret passageways, and ramshackle buildings. And catacombs, too, for fast travel. It'll be fascinating to see how they recreate pre-Haussmann Paris. Having played through III I know that Ubi's developers are serious about historical accuracy.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

I think my problem is that the meta story isn't that compelling to me. Thus, my interest in each individual game is how interesting the setting and characters themselves are. DaVinci and Ben Franklin would be near the top of my list of historical figures to meet list; Marie Antoinette isn't. I would have much rather had Greece as a setting for example, although that would be too early to fit into the meta story.

6. The meta story is GREAT if you look at it as a dumb, ridiculous thing. It's like a poorly written Metal Gear plot or Guilty Gear's continuity. Personally, I love it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I think my problem is that the meta story isn't that compelling to me. Thus, my interest in each individual game is how interesting the setting and characters themselves are. DaVinci and Ben Franklin would be near the top of my list of historical figures to meet list; Marie Antoinette isn't. I would have much rather had Greece as a setting for example, although that would be too early to fit into the meta story.
    Honestly, I think this has less to do with the fact that you don't find the "meta story" compelling, and more to do with the fact that you don't know anything about French revolutionary history.

Pre- and post-revolutionary France is one of the craziest, most fascinating periods in European history. Who gives a shit about Marie Antoinette when you've got motherfucking Napoleon? One of the reasons it's so interesting is that within the span of a decade, the French people managed to utterly destroy one of the oldest, wealthiest, most powerful monarchies in world history. One decade later Napoleon turned it into an empire that threatened the established order of all of western Europe. You've got Robespierre, Jacques-Louis David, the salons, Montesquieu, Mirabeau, Danton...

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    It's like a poorly written Metal Gear plot
    Department of Redundancy Department

9. more importantly, can he get blitzed on wine and have some next-gen drunken antics

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Honestly, I think this has less to do with the fact that you don't find the "meta story" compelling, and more to do with the fact that you don't know anything about French revolutionary history.
    I have no doubt that is what you think. However, your list is sorely lacking in scientists and inventors, which is where my historical interests mostly lie.

edit: Notice I didn't call out George Washington in support of ACIII either.

edit2: Thinking more about it, I wish the meta story weren't dependent on the Templars, as a lot of the settings I'd love to see predate them.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 21 Mar 2014 at 04:01 PM.