Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steins;Gate (Visual Novel, PC, Vita, PS3) EL PSY KONGROO and Tutturu Too

1. Steins;Gate (Visual Novel, PC, Vita, PS3) EL PSY KONGROO and Tutturu Too

http://steins-gate.us/

Review: Kotaku (Some minor and general spoilers, but nothing too bad, and the comments are actually pretty good)

It's pretty good so far and i hear it gets better! I sat down to try it and ended up playing for 3 hours. It might be my favorite visual novel outside of Ace Attorney, maybe even above Ace Attorney. It's more novel than Ace Attorney and the Zero Escape games, so avoid if you don't like walls of text, and interaction is restricted to the email conversations. If you can get past that and you can stomach teh anime, the story is intriguing and the characters are interesting. They occasionally balance on the edge of anime clichés, but never getting stuck in them. It also gets pretty deep into Japanese nerd culture, taking a lot of terms and references from 2ch, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure whenever possible, old computers, and usually it leaves me interested enough to look into whatever it's interesting.
    Also worth noting, the jp-only voice acting is great. The narrator/main character, is voiced by Mamoru Miyano, who also voiced Wooser and Berg Katze from Gatchman Crowds. He's the best at screaming in Japanese-English. Sometimes the voices go on a bit longer than it takes for me to read, but i usually let it go.

Buy it!

Buy it! (not at work though, JList is kind of weird)

JAST is working on a Steam release, but it's up to 5pb, the jp publishers to decide. So far the official release is PC-only, but i've been able to get it working on my Macbook, thanks to PlayOnMac. There's a jankier iOS and Android version and some fan translations, but JAST USA actually did a great job on it and they deserve the support. I've seen a typo or two, but it's no miracle never happen.
    Donk

2. Oh, and there's an anime, but this goes way deeper than the anime. Lots of endings, more scenes, main character narrates. It seems that the average time for beating it and getting every ending is around 30-35 hours.
    Donk

3. I only know Kurisu from Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds but this is kind of an interesting approach at the material.

Not sure if I would buy it but it does have some great art.

4. ~ Kristine ~
    I didn't even realize that she's in the Phantom Breaker games. I love how nerdy 5pb gets with that stuff. The PhoneWave (name subject to change) is the 5pb character's special attack
    Donk

I picked this up too. This probably has my least favourite method of interaction in a visual novel (it's often extremely unclear what events will result from what cellphone responses), but the story more than makes up for that. It's a nice science fiction yarn of the type that is extremely rare in games - definitely something closer to a good novel than a typical game plot.

For what it's worth, the fan translation that has been out for a couple of years is about 95% identical to this release, but I think it's well worth supporting official releases of quality visual novels. There are a lot of good ones out there and they won't get localized unless people start buying these and stop buying garbage like Milles, Knight of Anal Tyranny.

6. It's not likely i'll have the time to play another VN anytime soon, but besides the popular stuff on portables, what are some other good ones? I mean, besides Gibo - Stepmother's Sin
    i can't tear myself away from Steins;Gate...
    Donk

spoilers, the vast, vast majority of your choices don't matter. Just say whatever you want in the texts unless you're going for the True Ending, in which case all that matters are Kurisu texts and you're gonna have to look it up because you won't know the results for hours anyway.

8. Is that true for the 6 other endings? I mean, you still have to look up a walkthrough because it looks like the choices are going to be pretty random anyway
    Donk

Yes, it is. Like that stupid Upa email you get is actually a critical flag for the Mayuri path. Don't respond right, no Tutturuu ending for you.

As for quality visual novels, here are some I'd recommend and why:
    YU-NO. It's a fascinating quasi-scifi story, has a pretty great protagonist, and integrates saving and loading into the narrative and game mechanics. It's closer to a proper adventure game than a visual novel (and even has inventory puzzles) but it's still wordswordswords so I'm counting it as a VN.

Da Capo II. Yes, it's a super moe high school (well, middle school, but boy do they do their best to make that non-obvious in the English version) romantic drama, but it's probably the best of that type that I have played. What makes it good are two things: great characters that play off of each other well, and very little repetition between routes. There are two common routes and each of those has new scenes added after you reach one ending in them, so there's very little skipping through stuff you've already read.

Dysfunctional Systems. Admittedly this is unfinished at the moment (though the recently successful kickstarter will hopefully rectify that), but even the short first episode is very well written and has a level of technical quality to it that I've never seen in any other original English-language VN - or in many Japanese VNs, for that matter. I'd actually call this the closest thing to Steins;Gate both in level of detail and in tone. PM me if you want it - I have a spare Steam key for Episode 1 because I backed the kickstarter.

Cho Dengeki Stryker. Man, if this was more well known, I think people would be drawing comparisons to Watchmen in importance. It really is that damn good. It looks like a basic superhero story at first glance but it becomes so much more than that. It's one of the most noninteractive VNs I've "played," with maybe three choices in the entire game, but the story itself is probably the best I've seen in the medium.

10. WOOOOOoooooowwwwwwww at the Suzuha ending. that was REALLY depressing up until the very last part, which had its own freaking depressing elements. I just destroyed like 3 days because i was so hooked, but i really need to see the other endings. they'll probably have to wait until school's out, since the three times i opened this game i was hooked for hours.

I'll buy the Dysfunctional System one next time i get the chance! There's a Mac version and i gotta support this stuff. Thanks for the offer though!
    The others will have to wait, since i'd only be able to install them on a work computer and i'm pretty sure i'd get fired for any of those.
    Donk