Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How has/will online gaming change you?

1. How has/will online gaming change you?

With the Xbox and PS2 soon to be introducing us all on a more personal level of gaming, I was wondering what type of changes, if any, you believe this onine interaction will make?

For example, I've never taken to racing, fighting or puzzle games in the past. However, with the oppurtunity to play a new Ridge Racer or Capcom vs. SNK title against someone sitting in California, these genres might become more appealing.

Many of you signed up for the Dreamcast's online service. Were you inclined to play more sport or racing games now that the ability to play a human opponent was a mere dial-up away?

I, personally, plan on hooking up with Xbox Live come this fall. I look foward to receiving many-a-ass-whoopings from some of you in the future.

Now that it's so close, I guess the excitment is starting to build. Not to take anything away from a single-player experience (god forbid), but I'm geared up to have some fun with people I'll never meet. Particuarly, all the guys at TNL.

2. I remember that one day, back in 1998, when I first played Quake 2 online. I sucked. I mean, I was pathetic. I then learned of WASD, among other things, and the whole damn genre slowly opened up after that. Sadly, FPSes are pretty much the only games I play online, when I'm using my PC. At least I have Tribes 2.

Many of you signed up for the Dreamcast's online service. Were you inclined to play more sport or racing games now that the ability to play a human opponent was a mere dial-up away?
    Yes.

I, personally, plan on hooking up with Xbox Live come this fall. I look foward to receiving many-a-ass-whoopings from some of you in the future.
    If Virtual On: Force ever makes it to the 'Box, I'll look foward to handing them out to all of TNL who'd bother with the game. Then again, I'll be doing the same once the VOOT Netplay Project is finished.

Online gaming can be great fun. Unreal Tournament and Phantasy Star Online are my favorites.

I can't wait until there are more genres online like fighting games.

Maybe if Twinkle Star Sprites had an online mode I would have liked it. I couldn't find anyone to play it with me two-player. Try asking your 26 year old male casual gamer peers if they want to play a game called that.

4. Introduced to Xband in early 90's

Loved it - SF and Madden were my father.

Played for hours....saw high phone bill.

A year later, the company went out of business.

SegaNet redefined the console online gaming structure, but eventually bellied up due to the company's agnostic marketing agreements. The network was no longer considered feasible, but loved playing Chu2 especially with Hero and Ryan Mack.

Heard of a popular games called Total Annihilation, Everquest, and Ragnarok Online to name a few...on on the PC. And now...Xbox Live and PS2's network are on the horizon. I will end up becoming addicted once again.

*runs*

5. Oh the possibilities, the possibilites.

Online gaming has so much to offer for me. Albeit it's still no comparison to having someone in the same room with you (which is why I love LAN parties), it's definately the next best thing.

I really hope for every multiplayer-capable game that is released in the future to have some form of online support. I also hope for some multiplayer co-op games to come out. Co-op can be VERY fun.

6. online gaming has, and will, be very ironic for me. in the age where hundreds - thousands of players are/will be playing with/against each other, i'm gonna be the one to play alone. i was never big on online gaming, and i doubt i ever will be. i like the idea of playing with a buddy (or four) who's right next to me, more than the idea of playing with a bunch of faceless people. despite smarter playing, i still feel like i'm playing the computer.

7. Hmmmmmmmm...

An online dream come true will surly be the day I hook up with someone on the net to indulge in a game of Contra or Gunstar Heroes.

It's the simple games these companies should realize are just as important as the vast fantasy worlds they're trying to create.

I predict that thegame that will cause me to get divorced, lose my job, and fall into fits of insomnia will be Star Wars Galaxies. Thankfully (or unfortunately), my PC can't handle it, so I will have to wait to end my life with the PS2 or Xbox version.

9. I'm gonna play Nintendo on this one and say that it just isn't ready yet. It's in it's baby stages, and doesn't have much to offer. I love PSO and play PC FPSs like it's my job (UT mostly), but it is sorely unappealing to me on a console.

If you want to play online, go get a PC and Diablo or UT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

10. An online dream come true will surly be the day I hook up with someone on the net to indulge in a game of Contra or Gunstar Heroes.
    I've already done that. And I've played Herzog Zwei, as well. And Street Fighter Alpha 3. And Garou. Yep. The OTHER good reason to care about emulation - online play.

Tain still can't wait for VOOT Netplay to be finished.