Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning Tricks

Learning Tricks

The common core thread produced some interesting responses on personal tricks for doing this and that.

Do you have any?

One I figured out finally was it's and its.

A thing or non person cannot own things so 's would not be used to show ownership like it does for a person. 'IT' is then left with its for ownership much like his.

This leaves it's as a contraction of it is or it has.

but the key is that things can not prove ownership. Making 'It's car' a nonsense statement.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 29 Apr 2014 at 03:39 PM.

2. Your left hand makes a L

The H in horizontal is like two walls pointing horizontally and the V in vertically points vertically down.

You can logic out all of that if you remember the v points vertically.

Horizontal = horizon.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. I predict much trolling in this thread.

Go ahead. Prove me right.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The H in horizontal is like two walls pointing horizontally and the V in vertically points vertically down.

That is not a good trick. Don't teach it to others.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Pure clownery.

the stuffed animal's jacket

9. Double reppuken on Who vs Whom:
    Phrase the sentence as a question. If it can be answered starting with "He," use Who. If you must use "Him," which ends in an M, use Whom, which ends in an M. Buttcheeks is a guy who/whom I would like to meet. Who would I like to meet? "I would like to meet he" doesn't work--it would have to be "I would like to meet him," so I'd use "Buttcheeks is a guy whom I'd like to meet."

You could also try to parse the sentence and to find out which to use. To remember how an object works, remember that you are the object of my love when I tell you "I love you." If the who/whom is the object of your sentence, use whom.

Or you could also remember that George Thorogood sucks musically and grammatically. It should be “Whom Do You Love.”

i.e. vs e.g.
    Clod-hopping rubes have been using these interchangeably lately. Unlike who/whom, this misuse here actually matters. It can change the meaning of your sentence and/or confuse your reader. So:

i.e. is used to elaborate on something—think of it as an abbreviation for in essence. If I were to have hatesex with someone on TNL, I suppose it would be with Yoshi or Advocate (i.e., one of its Reagan corpse-humping ideologues).

e.g. is used when you want to give one or more egsamples of something. TNL has, on several occasions, convinced me to buy a stupid game (e.g., Castlevania LoS, Shatter).

Note that if I use i.e. instead of e.g. in the above example, it would mean Castlevania and Shatter are the only stupid games TNL convinced me to buy; i.e. is an elaborator. Since they are only examples of dumb games and not the definitive list, I use e.g.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 29 Apr 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Interesting.